Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer rebuild--lazy man's way

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1231 times

Old 02-22-2017, 10:58:16 PM
Subscriber

Default Trailer rebuild--lazy man's way

I have a 16' utility trailer, my father in law bought used in '69--I got it when we moved him from farm to town in 75. We have used it for hauling everything for all these years and it still had original treated yellow pine (CCA) but was getting soft and needed lights and paint.

I caught my son and grand son cutting the floor bolts out the easy way. Today I welded conduit under it for wiring harness and built new brackets for LED lights. Few minor touches and it will get fresh coat of JD green. New treated lumber is sitting on another trailer outside shop. I guess a floor that has lasted 45 years is ok.
You can't see it in picture, but there is a pipe support as well as the two chains hooked to backhoe bucket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0882.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	275671  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 11:52:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Trailer rebuild--lazy man's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear67 View Post
I have a 16' utility trailer, my father in law bought used in '69--I got it when we moved him from farm to town in 75. We have used it for hauling everything for all these years and it still had original treated yellow pine (CCA) but was getting soft and needed lights and paint.

I caught my son and grand son cutting the floor bolts out the easy way. Today I welded conduit under it for wiring harness and built new brackets for LED lights. Few minor touches and it will get fresh coat of JD green. New treated lumber is sitting on another trailer outside shop. I guess a floor that has lasted 45 years is ok.
You can't see it in picture, but there is a pipe support as well as the two chains hooked to backhoe bucket
I've done my skid steer trailer twice in the years I've owned it like that. Lots easier to get the old deck off. New pressure treated pine only lasts about 10 years unless you soak it in used engine oil the year after you install the new deck. I paint the deck heavy letting it soak in overnight, then flip the trailer the next day and do the same thing always keeping tab of my growing carbon footprint.....

I call it recycling too.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2017, 12:09:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,394 Times in 930 Posts

Nice! I love the hub caps too. And the used motor oil sounds like an excellent idea!

The old lighting was not rebuildable, eh? I think you can still get incandescent lighting, though I'm sure it won't be made as well as the old stuff was. Such is the way of things.

Seems like I see so many LED fixtures on vehicles that are failing. And they're harsh rather than rich looking

It would *really* be nice if someone would make nice metal fixtures with Glass lenses again, that take nice normal bulbs. But imagine what they would cost!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:43:03 AM
Registered-III

New lights are plastic junk, least the ones I have found are plastic. In the old days they made lights that were stout, now you need to weld pipe on to hide the snowflake lights in so they do not get insulted.

If you have lenses, or can find replacements, you can get new wires for the sockets. Then if you want fancy new light bulbs, you can get LED bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:10:33 AM
Subscriber

Bear67- Great minds think alike! I got a good deal on a "re-purposed" pop-up camper, and upon inspection last weekend realized it had a leaf broken in one of the springs. I figured this way would be lots easier than a jack and laying on my back. (The loader on my tractor leaks down too bad right now to use it for this....)
Anyway, it will get new springs, wiring and a bed liner spray paint job. Yeah!

There is a chain doubled around the come-along at the top for safety.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TrailerIMG_0653.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	275694  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:53:55 PM
Subscriber

We have 10 or more trailers in the family fleet and are changing them all out to "good" LED units. We buy a commercial grade from a local trailer manufacturer and they are holding up well. We are also welding up a surround guard around the light to protect it. We run all wiring in conduit and solder all joints and seal with heat shrink tubing. May be overkill but I get tired of working on trailer lights and I got stopped in Ohio and Oklahoma last year because of faulty (cheaply made) lights--no written tickets and I got to meet some nice lawmen.
We go to pasture with anything and conduit keeps from dragging wires off with brush and weeds. I install 2" receiver tubes on all our equipment trailers where we can use electric winches when we need one. I have a 12 ton hand gear winch on one utility trailer. I think trailers are like guns, when asked how many does a man need, the answer is "Just one more!".
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39:42 PM
Subscriber

Job complete: New lights, wiring, floor, reflective strips, paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	green trailer 1.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	276282   Click image for larger version

Name:	green trailer 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	276283  
The Following User Says Thank You to bear67 For This Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 01:14:54 AM
Registered-III

Nice job. Would never fly in Oregon. Could pull it for years and then get stopped by some wise kid cop looking for an excuse to pull you over and smell your breath. We need side lights on anything but a lawn trailer.

Mine does not have side lights, so far so good.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44:06 AM
Subscriber

At 20' we have to put side clearance lights. I don't put any lights where not required as it is just one more thing to go wrong. The teenagers put lights all over their trucks, but not this old man.