Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Detroit in a Pickup.

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 51469 times

Old 04-28-2009, 04:26:24 PM
Registered

Default Re: Detroit in a Pickup.

Guys, new to site, I was actually reading this link to find out information on my project. I plan to cram a 3-71 in an 81 Dodge crew cab. I read here that some of you are interested in the 1978 Dodge Diesel. I have one for sale, infact, I just listed it on ebay last night. Here is the link:

http://ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem=130302879838

Back to the detroit, is a 10 speed road ranger to much transmission for that size motor? will a 5 speed clark work just as well?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 05:31:05 PM
Registered-III

Stranger,, MUCH stranger things have been done !!

http://ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-Metro-DIESEL-ENGINE-by-Subaru-Robin
Old 05-01-2009, 04:54:58 PM
Registered-II

The unfortunate thing about this car is, in NY state it wouldn't pass inspection. With '96 and newer cars the computer is "Plugged in" to the state computer for inspection. If anything is different than factory or is "out of range" it is an immediate failure. That puts a crimp in any up grades we can do. Norm
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18:16 PM
Subscriber

Hello Folks,

Its been a while since I've posted here. I now have a 1973 F100 that I've been playing with. Under the hood is a 3-53T with N60 injectors and T4 turbo. The engine was originally a 2-valve N now has turbo cylinder kits and a 4 valve head. It is 4x4 with a divorced NP205, T-18 transmission with a 2 speed U.S. Gear overdrive behind it. Has a 44 front 60 rear. Also have 33" rubber to get the roadspeed.

I recently picked up a partial set of jakes and parts for a 6v53- enough to do my 3-53. I have yet to finish the clutch linkage, brakes, install new bed, repaint frame, new exhaust, install vacuum pump for brakes, repipe radiator, fuel, air, and power steering yet. I have another cab, doors, and front clip but those will have to wait for a year or so, at least until school is done. I will get some pictures up eventually. I did not initially put it together but have been working some of the bugs out of it that I didn't like about the truck. Take care.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16:01 AM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,252 Times in 245 Posts

In 1973 My Grandpa put a 453 detroit in his brand new 1973 F250. He had a 5 speed transmission in it and 5th was overdirve he claims that he got 20 plus mile to the gallon out of it with the overdrive trans. He also had a friend that he helped put a perkins diesel in a F250 of the same era. My grandpa still owns his F250 with the detroit. When he got it done they sprayed that foam isulation in the front firewall and fenders do reduce noise and this caused the truck to rot out! so one day i plan on getting ahold of a donor truck to transplant the engine and trans into.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,103 Times in 3,425 Posts
Photo Re: Detroit in a Pickup.

I've seen and read about a lot diesel conversions over the years, but this has to be one of my favorites (so far).......

It's a 94 Mustang with a Duramax turbo diesel that is street driven, runs a 9.71 second quarter mile time @ 147 MPH and gets 38 MPG with a double overdrive.

I've read about this one in a couple different magazines, with the most recent being in the Jan 2010 Hot Rod magazine (yes it's out already) in the 5th annual Hot Rod Drag Week article where they get a bunch of cars together and go on a cross county tour from one drag strip to the next to determine the best overall and the fastest street car. He wasn't the quickest one there with the winner being a 67 Chevy II that ran a 7.25 sec. quarter mile at 204MPH ! They didn't give the MPG on the Chevy, but all of the cars had to complete a 1000 mile road trip to qualify, so I'm guessing the Chevy burned up a lot more fuel on the trip. They could pull trailers behind the cars with tool boxes, drag slicks, spare transmission(?), and whatever else they thought they'd need for the trip, but All of the cars had to be driven the whole trip, no hauling them on trailers or tow dollies... Some of them aren't the most practical vehicles out there, but they are all legitimate street cars.

Hopefully there are no problems with posting the picture of the article .... feel free to remove it if there is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9second 38mpg diesel mustang.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	67392  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17:07 PM
Registered-I

I saw a 3-71 in a Mid 70's ford pickup,he said it was a little heavy,but worked good,90 real HP.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35:03 PM
Registered-I

i have a 86 toyota extra cab 2wd that has yanmar tne94 4cyl diesel. hooked up with a w56 5spd. 32mpg at 2450rpm, 72mph.
it has plenty of tourge for a naturally aspirated engine rated at 59hp. drive in the mountains of carolinas in 4th gear with no problems. a little vibration at idle, but other than that it is a fun daily driver. AC hurts the mpg but its worth it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggerLee View Post
I saw a 3-71 in a Mid 70's ford pickup,he said it was a little heavy,but worked good,90 real HP.
Dad put a 3-71 in a 1971 F250,both Dad and truck are long gone,I dont know what bell houseing he used but it had a granny low 4 speed in it, a T6 I think,with the auto rear end that was in the truck,he modified the crossmember on the front end.67 Miles an hour up hill or down,no coasting either,vacum pump for brakes,NOISY and slung oil all over,but 21-22 mpg and ALL the power you could ask for,if you was brave enough to attach it to the bumper it would pull HUGE loads ,getting it stopped another gray area.In the late 70,s my brother got it and we slung the overhead camper on it,and fishing boat on back,and had a cheap fuel weekends at the Lake of the Ozarks,only trouble was a bad tank of fuel,it wasn't diesel that they pumped into the tank,we was trying to get our money back and money for 3 filters we replaced when a Yellow truck driver got out of a car and started raiseing hell about the tank of fuel he just bought and his truck quit,we got our money for filters.Also it was the late 70,s had some attendants kick the pumps off and yelling we was putting diesel in the pickup....It would have been a lot better conversion if we would have had access to a overdrive 5speed.He later done this with a Perkins in a 78 F250 what size I can not remember,but sounded like one of the double decker busses,he had bought 3 of them somewhere in Texas and rebuilt them himself,they was very under powered for their rating,put the gas back in and went to propane,then the first factory ford with the diesel which was always giveing him fits....
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57:25 PM
Registered-I

I was at a lumber yard in Kentucky or Tennesee about ten years ago and an 80s chevy came in beside me making that Detroit rattle. I looked at the driver and he said yes its a Detriot. that's all I know about that truck. There is a paper called "Farm Show" that has had articles in the past about conversions one guy had a business putting three cylinder Ford tractor engines in Ford trucks, if I remember right he said they would get 45 miles to a gallon. Then there was anther article where a guy had a 56 Ford pickup with about half a million miles on it he put a little Perkins in it and
was well pleased. He went to England and got it and another for a spare. I always heard the Jap diesel Dodge put in their trucks in the late 70s was a joke. I think it was only available in the half ton. A local man put an isusu diesel in an older Dodge in the early 80s took him a year and he like it but never did it again.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25:46 PM
Registered-I

I have often wanted to put a 2-71 in something. I got one lined up if I ever figure out what to do with it.

Years ago, my old business partner helped a guy put a 2-53 in a 57 chevy. He said it was really neat to pop the hood and see this tiny motor. He claimed it got 45MPG.

Josh
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54:07 PM
Registered-I

At the Perry NY car show there was a 69 Road Runner with a 3-53. That Detroit sound from a Runner sure turned heads. I have 88 wrangler with a 4a2.3 cummins (onan l423) works good
Old 05-20-2014, 11:13:53 PM
Subscriber

That Roadrunner you speak of belongs to a friend of mine's son. Both are big into Oliver tractors and vintage trucks. Think he was also doing a 3-53 in a Dodge pickup but haven't heard anything lately.

On another note it is interesting to see this thread come back to life after starting it some six years ago .

As of lately I have been trying to get back to work on a 74 GMC K20 I have with a 4-53N and RTOO9513 Roadranger. Has working 4x4 with a divorced NP205, a Bendix belt drive compressor for the Roadranger and a set of Jake Brakes.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47:40 AM
Registered-III

Tom, are you planning to attend the Confab in July?