Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Brookton Old Time Motor Show 2018

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 2507 times

Old 02-02-2019, 01:45:00 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Brookton Old Time Motor Show 2018

Any card carrying financial member of a club should have free admission to the shows. Those that charge we dont attend. Took a while for our local agricultural show to change their minds on this topic but they did. Now each year we organise more and more tractor displays and there is a huge interest in the old tractors. Another local club also now attend and bring along a good display of engines. Show society now embrasses both clubs to attend as the feed back to them is all positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 08:41:47 AM
Registered-III

I was an exhibitor at Brookton from 1988 until 2012 and it cheesed me off no end when they started to charge exhibitors but after staying overnight and partying hard (like usual) and talking to some of there committee that I know and hearing what charges they are being slugged to put these shows on, I fully understand why they "have" to charge to put the show on. It boils down to this, If you want to go to a show and enjoy participating in an event we all like then someone has to pay the expenses to put it on, and I am sorry, but that includes "us" the people that actually bear the expense and put in the time to make it a success. I hope to be an exhibitor again at the next show and may gripe about being charged but if we all take the attitude that "no" I aren't going if I have to pay a nominal fee then pretty soon there won't be anywhere left to go and we will all have to stay home in our sheds and remember the good old days when it was all for free. For goodness sake, think about how much you spend on our very satisfying hobby and understand that in the scheme of things an entrance fee into a very good show is small change that shouldn't even enter into the conversation !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 08:23:24 PM
Registered-I

I wonder what their balance sheet looks like that "forces" them to charge an entry fee to the people providing their attractions. I know Lights on the Hill comes out in the black by a decent margin every year...
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39:25 AM
Registered-II

Yes well if a $10 entry is too much then don't attend,simple solution.As those who have attended will attest it is a good show and must take a lot of work for those who run the show and the cost to do so.
Brookton is the only show that I am aware of that caters for such a wide variety of exhibits .
Old 02-06-2019, 01:24:30 AM
Registered-III

I too wonder what the balance shet is of the NHMA when they also charge for exhibitors and they don't support the Club that is holding the event by supplying fencing, stands or seating in anyway but they still put their hand in your pocket.
Of all the Rallies and events we do attend we then support that event by buying the raffle tickets etc on sale to provide funds to run the event. If the Club requires to charge entry fee to those who display then they have been mismanaged and squandered their funds.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,283 Times in 820 Posts

Well cobbadawg there appears many in the old machinery field that don't believe in the user pays way of doing things, this is not centrelink although it appears many that frequent the forums are no doubt fervent believers that they are entitled and should get something for nothing and some one else fund their endeavors? entitled to what I have no idea? IMHO entitled to a boot in the a....
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32:33 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Yes well if a $10 entry is too much then don't attend,simple solution.As those who have attended will attest it is a good show and must take a lot of work for those who run the show and the cost to do so.
Brookton is the only show that I am aware of that caters for such a wide variety of exhibits .
Bit of a catch 22 isn't it?

"Hey people with old cars and machinery, please bring them to our show so there's lots of things for the public to come and see. Then we charge the public money to get in and look at it."

"Ah excellent, you drove 2 hours to bring some exhibits here and show them to the public to make the show worth visiting? That'll be ten dollars please."

You may as well try to donate something to a museum only to have them turn around and demand money for them to take it... Bizarre.

Excellent rambling and pointless post there typak, you seem to be improving with age.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59:05 AM
Registered-II

So it is that $10 that hurts ! When I have been to Brookton I have met up with people who I've not seen for years and it is great to catch up . Spend the night there around the campfire with old friends . I have quite willingly driven the 400 km to the Show paid my $10 and enjoyed the experiece. Could I pose the question ,do you have a club public liability policy.If not rest assured Brookton does have public liability cover for the event.....your $10 goes towards rhat cover.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:22:05 AM
Registered-I

That's an excellent point... but a cost that would easily be covered by the public, who pay to get in WITHOUT bringing an exhibit to display.

I'll be going again even if they're still charging, it's a great show. But the principal of people volunteering their time to give the show its actual content then being asked to pay still rankles
Old 02-06-2019, 05:51:39 AM
Registered-II

Yes well what it ''Boils Down '' to is for $10 you are covered in the event of an accident whilst at the show. There are many exhibitors who do not belong to a club and no doubt do not have public liability cover and Brookton 's insurance covers that . As for the principle as you put it of exhibitors paying to make the show I dont think it is of great consequence ,the enjoyment of mixing with like minded members of our hobby is well worth the measly sum of $10 .
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 06:28:19 PM
Registered-I

i have been going to every brookton show since 1990 and take a good load of engines have got great friends in the town and they do a lot to help . you pay to go to warroona , bridgetown agg show charge so if you dont want display and spend a couple dollars you may as well give up restoring and stay home and watch TV.
i have been involved with lots of shows and understand the costs associated .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronald shane newport For This Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 11:59:25 PM
Registered-I

Actually i would be pretty happy to pay a few dollars to show off what ive been up to in the shed. Youtube doesn't give the same buzz as a real show. Determined to get something to Brookton next year.