Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment > Railroadiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroadiana Collectibles from the Railroads. Railroadiana or railwayana refers to artifacts of currently or formerly operating railways around the world.

Railroadiana

For the Railroad History Guys & Gals

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 897 times

Old 05-07-2010, 04:04:21 PM
Sponsor

Default For the Railroad History Guys & Gals

If anyone travels up I-87 in the Hudson Valley in NY this summer be sure to take an hour or two to visit this- just off exit 18-New Paltz/Poughkeepsie. It has an amazing history dating back over 100 years- several books have been written about it. I took these pics today on my first visit, gonna go again if I can get my adult daughters to overcome a slight fear of heights- it's only 212 feet above the river at it's center.It's free, but it's also NYS so it might not be free for long.Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge- "Walkway Over the Hudson"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan 304.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	78568   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan 306.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	78569  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 07:57:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: For the railroad history guys & gals

Its worth a visit.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,688 Times in 526 Posts

We had an abandoned iron railroad bridge spanning 150 ft above a stream and next to the Susquehanna River in southern Lancaster County. The rail line had not been used for many years.

The local township put a new wooden deck and railings of it and restored the old railroad bed into a hiking trail across the bridge and along the river.

Unfortunately, it was only open about one year. Then last week someone torched it and the new wooden deck was completely destroyed.

It will be one million dollars to redo the walkway. They need to find out if the old iron girders are still ok to support a new walkway.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:00:35 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,637 Posts

There is a similar converted walking bridge over the Platte river at Tulsa OK. Was the old Frisco RR Bridge. Very popular with the locals, well worth seeing.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:51:18 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,141 Times in 518 Posts

Arkansas River in Tulsa. Gotta go a couple of states north for the Platte. Thanks for the plug.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:18:08 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: For the Railroad History Guys & Gals

I used to go to a restaurant at the foot of Main St. in Poughkeepsie. You could see the bridge out the window. If we were there when a train was crossing, we would count the cars. I think the speed limit on the bridge was 3 or 4 mph so it wasn't that difficult. We would usually lose count someplace around 100. Supposedly the bridge was condemned even before it was finished, for what reason I don't know, but that was the rumor. The RR had a tug moored at the Main St. dock to protect the bridge piers from tows going up or down the river. That was discontinued about 1954, as the long tows were no longer used. The bridge was the only crossing of the river for the RR till Albany, other than by barge, so it played an important part in the commercial transportation for many years.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: For the Railroad History Guys & Gals

I'll have to have a look if I ever head up that direction.

This one is closer to me. And Nickel Plate 765 crossing it with the Erie Limited may be the last time a steam locomotive, or even a passenger train at all, ever crosses it.

The viaduct is over 100 years old, and due to deterioration had its speed limit reduced to only 15 MPH despite seeing regular mixed freight traffic from Buffalo NY to Corning NY. At the time this footage was shot, construction of a replacement had already begun, and soon the viaduct will no longer be connected to the rails. It may have already happened, I haven't gone up that way in a while to check on things.

Since it is located in Letchworth State Park, the old viaduct is likely to remain standing and may be converted into a rails to trails sort of path while the regular freight traffic makes uses of its successor.

Edit: Google search shows that the new bridge is complete and in service. A steel arch stands beside the old bridge, and the old bridge is likely to be torn down.

Last edited by Odin; 04-27-2018 at 01:06:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odin For This Post: