Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

delco

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1303 times

Old 02-18-2002, 11:55:29 PM
james mcdowell

Default delco

While I have been looking for a hit and miss engine,My grandpa told me he thought his friend had one in his pump shed.When he asked about it he was told that there was a old delco generator plant with the batteries in there.I am going to go look at it soon,I probobly can get it for free.I dont know much about these plants,If I do get it what would it be worth to a collector?I would like to get an old farm engine but then again ,maybe this find will spark a new intrest.Thanks for any info , James
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 01:24:31 AM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: delco

James;

It will make a difference what model it is. Delco-Light made some 80 different models from 1916 to 1946 when they made their last generator.

It will probably be a Model-850, Model-752, or a Model-600. Those were the most popular models. If you can post a picture of it or e-mail it to me I can probably identify it for you.

Most engine collectors don't like ANY generator because of the electric portion of the unit. In most cases, if the electric relays etc aren't working they won't even run.

Value depends a great deal on condition and the model. The ones I mentioned above in running condition will be priced from $80.00 to $300.00, that's without the batteries. If the glass jars are all there and not broken from freezing and the lids are good and intact, they are worth from $12.00 to $40.00 a piece depending on who wants them. The lead plates are probably no good so you will have to find out how to despose of them safely.

Most of us generator "nuts" are still figuring out how to make new plates to restore the old glass jar batteries.

If you are into tinkering with electric things you will enjoy restoring the old Delco-Light generator. If you are not into electric tinkering it might be best if you found some one who would buy the whole thing from you.

I live in Sparta, a small town in Southern Illinois and if you lived close enough to me so I could drive over and look at it with you, I would be glad to help however I could.

These are strickly my oppinions and some folks may disagree with me and that's there right.

Your results may vary.

"DELCO DON"
Old 02-21-2002, 12:51:59 AM
Russ Hughes

Default Re: delco

Don, your comments are right on as usual. I think that a single old light plant for a starter would provide a person with an excellent education, even if they presently knew little, or nothing about electricity. It has both the component elements of the engine itself, as well as the electrical component. Besides there is this guy who hangs around on this web site quite a bit who calls himself "Delco Don". He has a pretty good store of good information on these things {