Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

A Trip to Clyde Hall's

this thread has 222 replies and has been viewed 61825 times

Old 07-27-2006, 12:19:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,395 Times in 423 Posts
Default A Trip to Clyde Hall's

Hi Guys

My travels took me to Clyde Hall's today. Clyde and Lyle are in the process of assembling a 40-70 Flour City engine. They have completely rebuilt the engine, new babbit, valve guides, valves, resleeved the engine and done major machine work. As well they have done plenty of welding to castings which were broken or cracked.

I have attached a few pictures. One of before and the rest are of the final assembly. Sorry there are no pictures during the rebuild. My travels didn't take me in that direction.

Before

and during the final assemly

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28:03 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: A trip to Clyde Hall's

Here are a few pictures of the carburator. Clyde discribed the carburator operation to me a bit. He said through the main jet there are 3 things that are metered at the main jet. Fuel through the center, air in the intermediate tube and water through the three nozzles around the outside. The main jet can be seen in the first photo.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:35:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,454 Posts
Default Maybe an OT question, but?

The work Clyde, Lyle, & (is it Jerry?) that you are showing is impressive indeed. If I may be so crass as to mention $$$, how do these guys charge? I'm assuming they are doing this work on other people's machines. I fix working tractors for a living, & would like to get into more restoration-type work as retirement approaches, however, it has been difficult for me to justify restorations due to the unreal amount of hours one can accumulate in one of these jobs...it's almost impossible to quote ahead of time what such a job will cost, & doing it on an open-ended hourly basis can run up a frightening bill. I can see they love what they are doing, but how do you reach an agreement with the owner that's fair to both? It looks like these guys have a substantial investment in tools & equipment, that has to be paid for...If they are financially able to do it just for the fun & love of old machinery, more power to them, but is it possible to make a living at it? Or is money no object to the owners, just to resurrect an old machine? Any thoughts & opinions are appreciated...
Ron in CO...
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,454 Posts
Red face Re: A trip to Clyde Hall's

Oooohhh-kaaay....guess that was the wrong question...I'll just leave now...
Old 07-29-2006, 01:14:06 AM
Subscriber

Sorry! I have no way of knowing how they charge. You would have to talk to Clyde or Jerry. They could tell how they go about it. Both are very easy to talk to and may be willing to discuss the matter with you on a personal basis.

Kelly T
Old 08-17-2006, 05:53:57 PM
Subscriber

Sorry Guys! I didn't get to Clydes to keep this thread updated as much as I would have liked to. But here is a picture of the Flour City completed and ready to be shipped out.

Clyde and Lyle are working on a smaller Flour City engine now. They had just put the parts in the cleaning tank so I didn't get much for pictures. Only one of one of the cylinders.

Also this summer Clyde has been busy with rebuilding a Case transmission (I believe he said 12-25).

Clyde has recently purchased a 10-20 Titan that his father had helped get running for a parade in the 60's and not run since. The original owner and Clydes father were involved in getting the tractor running in the 60's for a local parade. Clyde hauled the tractor to town for them to work on. After the parade the original owner drove the tractor home again.....Just as he had done when he bought the tractor new from the dealer in Fillmore.

He has the engine dissambled and will be boring the cylinders and overhauling the engine. He waited 40 years to buy the tractor. I have included a couple of pictures of the tractor minus the engine and Clyde with the Crankshaft.

Kelly T

First the Flour City engine completed (less carb and mag)

Titan 10-20

Clyde with the Titan Crankshaft

Old 08-18-2006, 07:42:47 AM
Registered-II

Kelly,
Thanks for the pictures. You are alright. I don't care what John says about you! Krug
Old 08-18-2006, 09:26:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanks! "CHIEF"

Kelly T
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,729 Times in 6,679 Posts
Default Re: Maybe an OT question, but?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
The work Clyde, Lyle, & (is it Jerry?) that you are showing is impressive indeed. If I may be so crass as to mention $$$, how do these guys charge? I'm assuming they are doing this work on other people's machines. I fix working tractors for a living, & would like to get into more restoration-type work as retirement approaches, however, it has been difficult for me to justify restorations due to the unreal amount of hours one can accumulate in one of these jobs...it's almost impossible to quote ahead of time what such a job will cost, & doing it on an open-ended hourly basis can run up a frightening bill. I can see they love what they are doing, but how do you reach an agreement with the owner that's fair to both? It looks like these guys have a substantial investment in tools & equipment, that has to be paid for...If they are financially able to do it just for the fun & love of old machinery, more power to them, but is it possible to make a living at it? Or is money no object to the owners, just to resurrect an old machine? Any thoughts & opinions are appreciated...
Ron in CO...
Ron - Mein Neffe had Mr. Hall do some considerable mechanical work on his Ideal tractor (there is a report on it further on another thread on Old Lugs under Goold Shapley Muir tractor). It was a case where Mr. Hall had access to a matching tractor at WDM/Saskatoon and could thereby have access to patterns for parts missing on Mein Neffe's machine. Der Neffe reports that Mr. Hall was quite fair in his pricing structure, especially considering the high quality of the work done! Had he brought the tractor home, a lot of the work would have been farmed out to machine shops, etc., that probably wouldn't have had the familiarity or consideration for that type of work and at much higher shop rates. The "extra" cost in leaving the tractor at Fillmore would come from paying Mr. Hall's shop rate for dismantling, parts cleaning, etc., as these are things that one would normally do himself if the tractor were at home. All and all, given the scarcity of the machine and the value of the big, rare tractors today, der Neffe feels it was certainly worth any extra costs to have the work done in a premier shop like Mr. Hall's. And, it should be stated that the lad is definitely not flush with money to be able to carry on with that project - it was just a case of it being well worth doing.
All the best,
G.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02:31 PM
Registered-III

Oh Boy the "CHIEF" has returned hopefully with paper