Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Kohler K61 air gap question

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 319 times

Old 03-16-2019, 05:18:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler K61 air gap question

Thanks guys.

Anyway here is what mine looks like except mine is not so rusty.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/108GF-SNOWB...0AAOSwk-1aE2~3
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40:28 PM
Subscriber

not a kohler for sure!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:21:03 AM
Registered

That did help, it started right up, but run it for 5 min and it starts to sputter. I will try new points and condenser.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:12:01 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightlife51 View Post
That did help, it started right up, but run it for 5 min and it starts to sputter. I will try new points and condenser.
classic signs of a condenser starting to fail, you can run it with the cover removed and watch the points. if the condenser is failing when it starts running rough there will be sparks and arks all over the place at the points. its hard to describe, but some arking is normal. it will be contained to the point contacts, bluish in color and very controlled pattern, in other words anything erratic replace both and re gap.

---------- Post added at 08:12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51:50 AM ----------

i will at this point refrain from adding anything more to this thread as we are talking about two different engines and brands of engines in the same thread. this will become most confusing for future readers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:16:34 AM
Registered

Yeah I sort of screwed up the thread from the beginning by not knowing what engine I had.

A question on the coil. Checking out mine I removed it from the iron post and it was not very snug. I read elsewhere that it should be a snug fit but I don't remember what engine they were talking about. Mine has the wire clip that holds it on so I am thinking it probably is not supposed to be that tight.
Is this right?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:28:44 AM
Registered-II

It does not need to be tight
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 02:31:33 PM
Registered

I figured as much since there is a spring clip holding it down.

Waiting on my condenser I decided to order tine seals as the left side is leaking. Taking the hood off required a wrench underneath to hold the nut. Not sure why
T-B did not weld nuts on there so I decided to do it myself. Also the gear knob was in the way of the hood removal and I did not want to keep unbolting the depth bar every time I removed the hood so I cut the corners ever so slightly in the shift rod opening where the hood hinges. Now it slips right over the knob without a problem.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33:37 PM
Registered

It's alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

Got my condenser today and put it on. Spun the wheel by hand and no spark. I put the cover on and gave the cord a yank and a nice spark was coming from the plug. Went and installed fuel tank and hooked up the fuel line. Added gas to the tank and gas was coming all out the carb. Yanked the fuel line and secured it above the tank after screwing a bolt into the end of the hose. The tire on the carb side was flat so I aired it up and checked the oil for fuel contamination. Looked good, smelled good and best of all the level had not risen. Good thing the tire on that side was flat I guess.

I thought what the hey I'm gonna see if she hits. Second pull and she fires right up. Now I just have to go back into the carb and sort it out.

I just want to thank everyone here who gave input.
The Following User Says Thank You to hbwb For This Post: