Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Tiny Tiger Generator Plant

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 11656 times

Old 03-28-2002, 11:38:02 AM
Mark Freye

Default Tiny Tiger Generator Plant

Looking for any information on Tiny Tiger generator plants, with Olsen & Rice engine.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2002, 03:16:14 PM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: TINY TIGER GENERATOR PLANT

Mark;

I'm not an expert on the O&R "rigs", but I can tell you a couple of things.

They made several tools with that little two stroke engine on them. Circle saw, chain saw, drill, water pump, hedge trimmer, and your generator. There may be some more but I can't think of them right now.

They had some problems with the diaphragm in the carburetor going "sick". There are several folks that collect them and maybe one of them will contact you.

I have a couple of them but I haven't done any thing with them for several years.

"DELCO DON"
Old 03-29-2002, 04:53:14 AM
Russ Hughes

I had a difficult time adjusting to the fact that Ohlson and Rice made anything bigger than a model airplane engine. The principle is all the same, so why not. When I hear Ohlson and Rice, I still think model airplanes!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:26:28 AM
Gus Simms

Those engines don't seem to be much bigger than model engines. I had one of the generators, but no info. Someone rigged a gravity tank on it to compensate the diaphram problem. It worked pretty good.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:34:50 PM
Larry Healey

Goodday Mark A good friend of mine Eric Walton-Ball used to sell these in Toronto circa 1970--they also made an outboard boat engine with these motors! I have an original sales sheet for this gen set & am sending a copy to you separately. Anyone wanting a copy should Email me & I'll send it along(2 sided)
Old 04-02-2002, 01:41:05 AM
bill schaller

I have heard two different rumors, one is that someone is reproducing the diaphragms for the carbs, and another that one of the diaphragms for a tecumseh will fit. have not been able to track either rumor down.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:39:59 AM
John Rolli

Mark,I have had a couple of these generators and have seen a few variations as to wattage,mufflers,and manufacturer of the generator section although they are all cast alike.They are nothing more than a conversation piece as they are annoyingly loud when you run them long.Bobs small engines in Iowa has that diaphragm you need and they are unique to that carb only.I sold mine after noticing people would stop and look at them first rather than my old reel mowers with the F series Briggs that I painstakingly restored that was right next to them at my displays at shows.Because it was so small and light most would just help themselves and pick it up and look at it without even asking first which is a no-no with me,im not a flea market vendor.Hope this helps.John.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:37:43 AM
frank long

do you have a address for bobs in Iowa? I need a diaframe? for a o&r badly! please e-mail if you have it Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 12:31:00 PM
Juanmariani

I have complete manual of O R. I you want please email me, ill send it to you. I cant make it run properly, the problems seems to be fuel.

my msn is juanmariani@hotmai.com
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Healey View Post
Goodday Mark A good friend of mine Eric Walton-Ball used to sell these in Toronto circa 1970--they also made an outboard boat engine with these motors! I have an original sales sheet for this gen set & am sending a copy to you separately. Anyone wanting a copy should Email me & I'll send it along(2 sided)
I have the generator please email me with any info you have I collect Kohler light Plants and I call this my Y2K genset. jdecoe2001@yahoo.com
Old 10-04-2008, 11:00:15 AM
Registered

Default Re: Tiny Tiger Generator Plant

As stated above, these little engines powered a lot of different tools. They had a 3/4 & a 1hp motor. Also, of course, the smaller airplane engines. Keeping the fuel system clean is a major concern. Like any 2 stroke, stagnant gas is bad news. But, it is easy to clean the carb by using nothing but spray carb cleaner.

Reproduction diaphrams & other parts & info, here;
http://groups.msn.com/OhlssonRiceChe...=1&ID_Last=595
Old 10-04-2008, 12:33:35 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

We have an Ohlsson & Rice service book and parts listing, dated 1967.

No generator parts or electrical service data, only the engines.

It will eventually go onto the websites, but if anyone needs any data from the book, give us a shout.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14:54 PM
Registered

I have recently acquired a O & R capstan winch model 227.
Do you have any information that pertains to this engine or an idea where I can obtain the same?

Thanks,
Don , BigD
Clearwater, Florida
Old 11-15-2008, 08:13:34 AM
Registered

The link I posted above, will take you to a site where much info, & diaphrams [ which everyone needs sooner or later ]. They also, have a manual you can download for the engine. If you see Ohlsson & Rice,, or Orline , the O & R's were on both. Every once in awhile, there is an engine for sale on E Bay. Juanmariana , a poster above, offered a manual to someone.