Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

How do I test (Wico) Magneto components?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 22679 times

Old 07-05-2007, 06:26:58 PM
Registered

Default How do I test (Wico) Magneto components?

Hello All,

I don't seem to be getting spark on this Jacobsen. Since I don't want to just start throwing parts at it, what can I do to test the components? I have an multi-meter. It's a Wico FW 2319. Condensor is X8959. Do I just file the points and try again?

Any help appreciated!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 06:56:03 PM
Sky

Default Re: How do I test (Wico) Magneto components?

try cleaning the points with a points file, then set them to .020 thousands.
if you still have no spark or very little and weak spark, that would be the condencer. remedy, replace condencer.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,608 Times in 747 Posts

Based on my experience with point files, the best thing you could do with them is throw them in the bush. After filing points (with a point file) and gapping to spec on an older Clinton engine and still no spark, I filed them a second time with same results. Changed condenser, magneto coil and still no spark. Took the points off and took them over to a grindstone and touched them lightly to the stone. Replaced points, set gap and presto, engine started on the first pull and every time thereafter.

Recently I have used a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper folded over and rubbed between the contacts with good results. No more point files for me.

Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 10:08:09 PM
FarmallIH

I will have to agree with bill on this one, I also use some 320 to 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and polish the points till they are shiney, works everytime did it on 5 Wisconsin mags and everone worked after.

I had just got an old Jake and this is all i had to do was clean the points to get the spark back.

Mike G

http://www.htcny.com/oldiron
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36:23 PM
Subscriber

Have to check points on an old 3 HP Briggs on a cast iron Monarch pump tomorrow. Co-workers use it to pump diesel fuel out of a 1000 gallon tank in the back of a defunct gravel truck. Hasn't run since last fall and has no spark. Will use the wet/dry sandpaper to polish the points and see if I can continue my 100% success rate.

Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 11:08:46 PM
Registered

Absolutely. Never "file" points.

Manufacturer maintenance should say to hone on an india stone. In those days the fine sand paper was not recommended because the grit get stuck into the surface, or get in other bad places.
I just use a stainless wire brush, then wipe with clean cloth. Works 100 percent of the time.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:59:02 PM
Sky

Thats why i didnt say use fine sand papper or emry cloth...(though i do) sometimes i go against the book but ohwell. ya'll do whut ya want too.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08:29 AM
Subscriber

Excellent... Just great, I just bought a Sears 500 that was sitting out in the open for 2 years. I had replaced the condensor, and was about to start testing the coil when I read these posts... I got out Grandpas old oil stone & polished the points. Put it back together, and thats all it took for a great spark! Thanks, James in Wisconsin
Old 07-06-2007, 07:45:26 PM
Registered

We have spark! Just filed the contacts with a stone until they were uniform and shiney (took quiet a bit of rubbing! ) put it all back together and it sparks like a champ.

Thanks to all!

Paul
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39:13 PM
Registered

Most of the books I have say to use a file, most say not to use abrasive paper as it will cause burning. At least one of my manuals says use sandpaper. I use a small six inch "bastard" file. Just bought a set of diamond abrasive files, they are similar to a point file, only coated with industrial diamond abrasive that doesn't come off. They work pretty well, but I still like the real file you can feel it cut Like Sky said use whatever works for you.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:42:23 AM
Subscriber

To follow up an earlier post, used some #180 grit mechanics' cloth to clean up the points on the 3 HP Briggs engine, followed up with #220 wet/dry sandpaper. Got it back together and engine started and ran on the first pull!!

Bill
Old 07-07-2007, 10:48:47 AM
Subscriber

The recommended "sandpaper" is usually garnet paper, not one from the emery family but obviously, people have made both of them work.