Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Headed to OK and the TX

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1576 times

Old 11-12-2010, 01:00:03 AM
Registered

Default Headed to OK and the TX

I'm headed to Oklahoma on Monday and then will spend two weeks in Texas. When I was in Kansas last week I saw a bunch of pump jacks with engines on them. Some engines were modern at least one horizontal single was run on propane. That got me thinking.... I have a cabin project up north that will be off the grid. I currently have a Onan 6kw diesel generator that I was going to use for power. I was thinking that maybe one of these oil field engines would be a better choice. I was first looking at Listeroids, but they really don't come with enough hp (in a slow speed single) for a 6kw generator. I thought that maybe on my trip, I'd see a dealer and stop in to see what they had. Not knowing anything about oilfield engines, I figured I'd be best to stop here and ask a few questions about them.
  • Is there one brand that I should favor (or avoid)?
    Does the engine need to be a runner, or can I garage rebuild it?
    How much power do I need? (I figure around 18hp)
    Can I get diesel? I'll have propane on site, but diesel is much more available at 10pm.
    What rpms are these engines available in?
    Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: Headed to OK and the TX

All of your single cylinder Oilfield engines are gas engines. Run on either natural gas or propane. In the 18hp range you said you needed. I think your best best bet price and parts availability wise would be a Fairbanks 503 "25 hp" or an Ajax 6 /12 X 8 "22hp" Or a 7 1/2 X 10 "30hp". Parts are cheaper for Fairbanks than Ajax, but you could pay more for the Fairbanks engine up front.
The Fairbanks will be easier on fuel usage vs the Ajax engines.
Keep in mind these engines I've mentioned are in the 2000 to 3000 lb range, So I hope your not driving a mini truck!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26:07 PM
Registered

I presume they would run on propane just as good as head gas? If so, how many pounds per hour would they sniff?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:32:56 PM
Registered

Using this fuel consumption calculator

http://arrowengine.com/Tools/fuelcon...sp?engine=C-96

I used the Arrow C-96 which is 24hp @600 RPM
at 100% HP load it would use approx 45 gallons in a 24 hour period.
I would suspect the 503 Fairbanks to be close to this, And the Ajax would almost certainly use more.
Since you said your only needing 18hp to do what you need, your fuel usage would be less.
Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2010, 04:53:02 AM
Registered

Thanks for the link. It has some good information beyond fuel consumption. Looks like it'll cost around $100 in propane per 24hrs of run time. That's about twice the cost of diesel.