Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

Cat 22 clutch

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 3208 times

Old 09-27-2014, 08:04:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Cat 22 clutch

Sort of for Yankee or any other Cat guru.
We have a 22 with a stuck main clutch. The brake linkage has been disconnected and the pedal linkage is all the way in the disengaged position allowing the pedal to be all the way down.
The fuel tank and shield have been removed and we can now look down in there. Before I attack with impliments of destruction I'd like to know what to look for.
The engine runs the best. I have dealt with clutches stuck engaged but this is not the case. maybe a little C-4. I have a little experience with that in the 70s.
Ed, this is Butch II 's tractor. He called me in to cheer him on.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 09:24:17 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Cat 22 clutch

Hi Butch,
if you have not backed off the main linkage adjustment and the pedal is all the way down, then there could be two things I can think of just now.
One would be a failed clutch throw out bearing.
The other is it seems that the pressure plate is being held at the disengaged position by rust between the clutch plates or part of one of the linings has come adrift and has jammed the clutch by being wedged and doubling up in under the other plates.
Saw this happen when some one stalled a truck engine on a steep incline when in low range.
The driver let the truck run backwards down the incline with the clutch pedal held to the floor. We could hear the clutch whining as it spun at high speed, needless to say the linings exploded and jammed the clutch.

May be back off the clutch spring nuts--NOTE their adjusted position first so you can reset them later-- and see what you can achieve with the spring tension removed from the pressure plate.
Otherwise it is time to remove the engine to get at the clutch.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54:36 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,873 Times in 947 Posts

Butch Just got home from Kent where Butch 1 said I talked him into buying this 22. I hate to say it but I think Eddie was right in the end the best thing to do now is to pull the engine out and fix the clutch correctly. There is only so much you can from the outside looking in. I know it sounds like a big job but a couple of guys with an impact wrench could have the engine out in a few hours. Have Butch [John] to give me a call so I can get a better idea of what is happening. Ed B

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Butch Just had another thought [that doesn't happen all that often at my age] If you pull the motor you might find it difficult to get the engine to separate from the trans housing. Im saying that considering the frozen clutch situation. [Water in the clutch area] Look at the parts manual so you have a feel for how this is all hooked together. may save a few problems in advance. Ed B
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57:17 PM
Subscriber

Eddie and Yankee, Thanks for your thoughts. Once the tank and tank guard were removed I could see what was in there. It looked like the cross shaft was stuck in the disengaged position. We squirted it with a good dose of the favorite recipe of 1/2 acetone and 1/2 ATF. Next day put a bar behind it and worked it little by little. I think Butch said this tractor set for many years. There is a lubricating tube that feeds the throwout bearing which was dry as a bone.
Anyway we kept working it back and forth and soon had it freed up. The clutch now works using the crank handle.
This week we will get the young guys over and let them crank it up and we will test it under power before assembling everything.
Then we can test out the steering clutches...........
Ed, You were right to praise this one as it is really a nice tractor with very little wear. I think that it will be fine. Can't wait to get it out and work it a little.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26:40 AM
Subscriber

You gentlemen seem to be in the know on your Cats. What's the best (or easiest) way to get steering clutches unstuck on a Cat 22. They've been stuck about 5 years now. I've never worked on one before so don't have a clue.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09:29 PM
In Memory Of

Dear Jeff One of the old tricks is to fill the clutch housings with Kerosene or Diesel and let it soak to try and free them up. Then drive the tractor and see if they freed up. Actually if it has been sitting a long time and water got into the clutch area the only solution is to take the rear apart and free them up properly. This is a major job [must take off the tracks and final drive housings ] but the results are positive. To see how this is done look up my Thread "Caterpillar 25 Rusty Restoration" and it will give a step by step how to do. Ed B
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,567 Times in 2,144 Posts

I have a Cat 35 we got for $400 'cause one steering clutch didn't work. Found the bell-crank which changes forward - back motion to side - side motion was stuck real tight and took much time & effort to remove. Cleaned & greased it and it works fine. They provide no grease fitting for the straight rollers.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:14:57 PM
Subscriber

Well, the 22 runs great and shifts fine. Can run it back and forth with ease.

Now, the clutches.

We have a long line of projects in the fire so we will let it set for the winter. Ed, you mentioned soaking the housings. Will that work on the 22? What would you suggest?? I was thinking of ATF and penetrating oil for the winter.

I'm still into this IHC 8-16 and am building the engine in my 35 Ford coupe. Butch is re-doing his Model A roadster pickup so I guess it can wait untill spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Howe For This Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26:09 PM
In Memory Of

Butch The normal liquid to soak the clutches in Diesel Fuel. Just make sure the outlets in the bottom of the housings have plugs in them to keep the fluid inside. Sounds like your making progress. I almost wish I had bought the Cat. Ed B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37:15 PM
Registered

Jeff, what Ed told you is very good info. Please note though that you cannot fill the housings completely full as the seal for the pinion shaft is a non positive back screw type seal and your diesel fuel will just go into the bull gear/pinion gear side.....same for the cross shaft seal. Fuel will just go over into your ring gear/transmission side. I like to put 1.5 gallons in them. Drag the machine around once a week so that things can get splashed, soaked, etc. I tie the levers back as I do this and leave them tied back. You'll notice when one free's up. Once one free's up let that lever go so that clutch re-engages. Then all of your pulling/turning effort is on the last stuck clutch. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to WyoCat For This Post: