Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

Cletrac 20C, the restoration begins

this thread has 96 replies and has been viewed 19080 times

Old 02-27-2008, 04:27:22 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Cletrac 20C, the restoration begins

Keith
I think if you look behind the track frame pivot shaft you will find another large nut. Rather than a stud it is a rod passing thru the mainframe.
Good luck
mike
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50:03 AM
Registered-III

What you may want to do is contact the Floyd County Museum in Charles City. They can make you a copy of the operators manual. I don't know when they started it but those old Cletrac operators manuals had some in detail instructions on how to disassemble and reasemble the tractor. I will need to look at my parts book. Some of those old Cletrac parts books have NO pictures.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:41:14 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Cletrac 20C, the restoration begins

The seat arrived .

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/cletrac015.jpg

Pulled the engine fan assembly out of the electrolysis tank. A quick rinse and the rust, paint, dirt and grease went away . Covered with black carbon dust but that cleans off easily. Took it apart and removed the two tapered roller bearings for replacement. The seal on the back is cork on the inside. I've seen leather before but not cork. I'll replace it with a modern seal.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/cletrac016.jpg

keithw
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,090 Times in 477 Posts

Any updates yet?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02:28 PM
Registered-III

Been busy doing SU carbs. Got some hobbies that bring in money and some that cost. Try to keep them balanced so the boss doesn't get too unhappy.

I've got the fan assembly about half blasted. The next big thing is to hoist the block up on the mill to start working on it.

keithw
Old 05-28-2008, 01:25:10 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,090 Times in 477 Posts

C'mon Keith, you can't just leave us hanging like this.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30:28 AM
Registered-III

It is getting a little frustrating. Between one thing and another I'm just not making any progress. As soon as I do you will be the first to know. One bit of progress, sort of. My friend with the Harley needed his cylinders bored. I set up the new boring head on the mill and did them. Good practice for doing the tractor block. That will be a challenge as my mill isn't tall enough to come in from the top. I will need to stand the block on end. Using the universal head I'll be able to come in from the side. I will take pictures of the setup.

keithw
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,023 Times in 803 Posts

I stumbled onto this thread today while researching some data for this very 20C. This spring when Keith offered it up for "adoption" (thank you VERY much!) I quickly jumped on the opportunity as I already have another Cletrac (an HG42) and this was just too great an opportunity to pass up!
We (Lauren (thank you for hauling it!), My Brother, and Myself) picked up the crawler the end of May in Vegas and thanks once again to Keith, we brought it home to Idaho.

As the summer was very busy with other projects (see the Cat Sixty http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135468 and the ongoing FBM 40hp take apart http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61353) I just did not have the time to look much at the Cletrac...

Now that fall is here, while we will still continue to work on the FBM 40 t.a., I was ready to start work on the 20C. Because the heart (the engine) was the first item needing addressed, I decided today was THE day.
I loaded up the engine for its trip to the machine shop:

As previously noted, this engine had a number of water damage related issues. First was a valve seat that had been quite degraded :

Fortunately there should be plenty of space to machine out the block and insert a new valve seat. All of the other seats should just require a simple grind.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 10:04:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,023 Times in 803 Posts

As mentioned above, two of the cylinders (numbers 1 & 3) are in quite bad shape because of the water:
Number 1:

Number 3:

Because the original cast iron pistons are in such good shape, and over sized aluminum replacements are hard to come by and quite expensive to boot, We've decided to bore and sleeve the first and third holes. The pitting is so extensive, and we are fearful that we would end up having to remove almost the same amount of material if we over sized that we would just to sleeve the engine, so placing sleeves from the starts just make more sense.

Luckily, the other two holes look pretty good, they are a tad over, but after discussion with the machinist, we should be OK. New rings and a light honing they should be good to go.
Number 2:

Number 4:

This will be a somewhat slow rebuild as I told the shop to take their time and fit the work in when they had time between other more time-pressing work. Additionally, once the machine work is done, I plan to just work on reassembly here and there when I have an hour or so of free time between work on some other more pressing projects (THE 40FBM t.a. needs to RUN! ). I will post progress pictures as we move forward and time allows. My goal is to be able to return the engine to its former "home" between the Cletrac's frame rails in early spring (March-April?) so that it can once again move under its own power. Then we can start work on the under carriage.

Thanks again to everyone who has already helped this project get off to a great start!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,236 Times in 891 Posts

If anyone knows about slow rebuilds, it's me! Great job on getting it and good luck on getting it going as soon as time lets you!