Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Dozers and Crawlers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Dozers and Crawlers Holt, Caterpillar, Cletrac, etc.

Dozers and Crawlers

Cletrac 20C, the restoration begins

this thread has 96 replies and has been viewed 18820 times

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48:56 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Cletrac 20C, the restoration begins

Thanks for the update and picking up the torch on this project that I would never have had the time to complete.

BTW, the project I shelved this one for is progressing nicely. Our shelter euthanasia of cats just reached the 50% reduction point. If we can get the shelter to actually make some policy changes we could hit 90% reduction in a couple more years. Unlike some places we are not doing it with smoke and mirrors. We are actually reducing the number on the street through very agressive spay/neuter.

keithw
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithW For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2014, 01:22:16 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,009 Times in 795 Posts

Thats good to hear, the fact that you actually do something other than just euthanize the cats is more than commendable! Policy change can be soooo slow! I will keep posting progress here. I just recieved a replacement valve guide and the machinist has ordered the cylinder sleeves. I should have the block back by the end of the month.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:38:32 AM
Registered-III

Please do keep posting progress. I am still rather emotionally invested in it. I forget if it was the rods or the mains, one had half poured and the other half an insert. (As I recall it seemed a little odd to do it that way.)
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29:42 PM
Registered-III

Some progress, I have the manifold back from Cast Iron Welding in Washington (Cast iron Mike) I should have taken before pictures because his work is amazing!

The inside mounting flange was broken off and missing, Mike welded it up and even rebuilt the flange!

The engine side looks great! A little machine work to square it up and it'll be ready to go back on the block!

And because Mike is so good, he also identified a crack in the manifold I missed and he welded it up:

Not even visible from the outside!
I still need to drill out the bolts and retap the holes, should work out great!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 02:48:44 AM
Registered-III

While waiting for the block to get back from the machine shop, I decided I'd start work on reproducing the etched brass tags for the tractor and the engine.

I was able to obtain pictures and more importantly dimensions for the Hercules engine tag (THANK YOU WAYNE!!!). With that information and some help from the wife and her graphics software & plotter I was able to cut a vinyl mask and etch out a data tag. Once etched, I applied black high heat paint and removed the mask:

I still need to cut it down & punch rivet holes, but one down! I have the graphics done for the tractor data plate, but I need dimensions so I can finalize them and make a mask. More to follow as parts and time become available!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 02:29:11 AM
Registered-III

While I continue to wait for the engine block to get back from the machine shop I finished up the tractor data tag for the side of the fuel tank. Because this tractor will not be painted but rather I plan to strip the various layers of added paint off and keep it rusty, I wanted the tag to match the "patina " of the tractor. After etching the tag, I used an aluminum bluing solution to "age" the brass. By playing with the application I was able to achieve a data tag that has the "well aged" and "loved" patina I hoped for:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42:42 PM
Registered-III

I stopped by the machine shop today and checked in on the engine, they have it ready to bore and place the sleeves! With luck, I should have an engine back sometime next week! I also wanted to get the engine serial number (it was a good excuse to check up on the heart of this tractor). The engine serial number is 227737 (fortunately this number was stamped on the block in addition to the data plate- this number becomes important when attempting to determine a serial number for the tractor. The tractor serial number was only ever placed on the data plate... which of course is missing from this tractor. After a call to Landis at Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac (THANK YOU LANDIS!!!- he's very helpful in case you wonder )... any how, after a talk with Landis, he found that Tractor number 12066 had engine number 227654, which tractor was built mid-to late 1933. This engine is 83 away from mine. Landis also let me know that the Cletrac Serial numbers during this time only ended in even numbers. So, if you count 83 even numbers away from 12066 you arrive at serial number 12232, which shall be the number to adorn the tag for this tractor ... we'll call it a late 1933 production... phew, what a process
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 09:10:24 PM
Registered-III

When I purchased the tractor it was missing the carb and magneto, (imagine that). I did come across a few that seemed like they might be useful. Once you get to that point let us know how far I missed the mark on those.

The progress you are making cheers me up tremendously and I am looking forward to following your efforts.

Last edited by KeithW; 12-08-2014 at 09:11:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2014, 10:27:08 PM
Registered-III

Will do! I've gone through the magnetos amd rebuilt a couple, like you said I believe one or the other should work well. I am pleased that you're enjoying the progress. If everything goes to plan, I hope to have the tractor under its own power by the end of March. I am planning to order the rest of the gaskets this week or next then once the engine is back I'll be able to get it assembled. I'm off for Christmas break from work starting next week, so I figure i can fill the time between helping the wife and working on the FBM take apart with work on this
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40:37 PM
Registered-III

I swore I would never go to Idaho for reasons not important here but I might just have to make a run up there once you get it going.