Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Cushman Binder 4 hp

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 626 times

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38:28 PM
Registered-I

Default Cushman Binder 4 hp

I recently won a bid at an auction on complete Binder 4hp ( minus the air cleaner ) with a frozen piston. There are no cracks or welds anywhere. I have been soaking the top with penetrating oil and added Marvel Mystery Oil. I clamped a couple of U-bolts onto the flywheel and have tried to get it broke free with a long pry bar with no luck. Since the exhaust valve was open on the high spot of the cam, I backed off the adjustment to close the exhaust valve. I also removed the water pump and can view the bottom of the cylinder but cannot really see any corrosion and none of the top oil is dripping down. Any ideas anyone? I read on another website where a fellow had the same problem, and placed the whole engine on a stove, got it real hot and pulled the top jug off. I may resort to that using a propane burner - after stripping everything off. This is my first post - thanks for a great website!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Cushman Binder 4 hp

First of all is the exhaust valve free, 2nd when u pulled the jug off did the crank turn free. If so disconnect the rod from the crank at this point you can try the soak it in oak leaves water bathe for a few weeks, or you can turn it rod up on your driveway fill the bottom of the piston with charcoal lighter fluid and brake fluid add a rag and a match let it smudge pot for half the night and then let it cool on its own spraying occasionally with some liquid blaster around the bottom of the piston and in the plug hole, another way I've had good luck is electrolysis, if you don't put a sacrificial rod in the cylinder through the spark plug hole it most likely wont do much. Use a 1/2" pvc bushing as an insulator. Insert a half inch or 5/8" rod (bigger better) and back the rod off the top of the piston about an inch and a half wrap rod with black tape to wedge it in the bushing at the right distance hook it up to the positive on the charger, let it cook for a day or two depending on how rusty the inside of the cylinder is, you will need to clean the rod off a few times during the process. Now this applies to the three methods above, clean bottom of cylinder area below piston, wire brush, scraper, brillo pad, then lots of blaster some torch heat on the outside of the jug may help, with a brass/lead hammer tap on the end of the piston rod, don't beat the hell out of it just tap for a while add some baster and tap repeat ect. ect. The piston will move deeper into the cylinder don't go more than a 1/4" at this time. clean out, scrape, sand, out ring left by piston on the cylinder wall add blaster. Now insert a wood dowel 3/4" (bigger better) in spark plug hole add blaster and tap lightly, hard enough to jolt a little, but lightly more blaster more tapping ect ect. piston should drive out fairly easily. If you get impatient I will sell you a piston without a hole in the top of it. If the governor ring is stuck lets save that discussion for later (proven methods) kp
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26:07 AM
Registered-I

Thank you KP - I'll give it a try. ( The exhaust valve moved freely.) I have another Binder that runs pretty good, however when I installed new piston rings I found that a piece of the bottom of the piston was missing. Since it runs, should I leave it like that?

Doug
Old 11-07-2015, 10:50:21 AM
Subscriber

As long as the piston has no further damage like cracking etc. A small piece of the piston skirt missing will not hurt anything, I run an engine all day at shows with a chunk out of the skirt
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Green For This Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 11:02:34 AM
Subscriber

This will get rave reviews I'm sure. Have you ran it quite a bit, do you plan on pulling a load with it, if you have ran it a bit pop the head off of it and check it for scoring, it will surprize me if you see any, no signs of damage put it back together and enjoy it. if there are signs get a good piston. To some on here to have a good running Cushman is rare itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to KPerron For This Post: