Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Flywheeler park

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1883 times

Old 08-14-2004, 07:08:30 AM
Gailey Henderson

Default Flywheeler park

what did hurricane Charles effect Fla.Flywheeler Park?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2004, 07:42:12 AM
George & Helen Myers

Default Re: Flywheeler park

Hello Gailey! More important than Flywheeler Park is "our Harry"! Hope he made out OK! He is in the Sarasota area. Hopefully he will post here soon! Also the Zolfo area must have been hit hard. I heard Hardee County on the news several times.....Helen
Old 08-14-2004, 08:31:52 AM
DAVID M. LYON

I am pretty sure I heard an announcer on the weather channel say that the eye was passing over the city of Avon Park, so it would have been a direct hit on the Flywheeler park...I hope the park is OK, but mostly I hope all of our friends there are OK...Let us hear from ya'll as soon as you get power back up..wish there was something I could do to help.

David M.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:30:10 PM
Mike and Teresa Beebe

Hello to all, We have just returned home from trying to get the the Flywheelers Park. NO LUCK..... We tried from the West and the North, there is way to much damage in the Fort Meade area. It really looked like a war zone. We have been told that there was major destruction at the park, but that has not been confirmed.So if anyone else can find out we would appreciate it. I am still working on making contact with someone from the grounds.Please keep them in your thoughts, but knowing our Flywheelers Charley will not stop them.

Teresa
Old 08-15-2004, 06:53:45 PM
Mike and Teresa Beebe

Well, a good friend and fellow member was able to get to the show grounds today. The news is not good. According to them, 80% of all buildings were destroyed. There is only four structures remaining in the village, and all other areas had serious damage. I wish I had better news. Thanks again Harry, for the opportunity to get the news out. Teresa
Old 08-16-2004, 09:22:06 AM
Dan Donaldson

I have heard from a couple of people that went to the park and they report: The Oliver building is gone. The roof metal on the Ulrich building is gone and the trusses are mangled. The big engine building is destroyed. Two of the three rental buildings are destroyed. The Gustafson building has damage and several other buildings are damaged. There were seventy +/- buildings at the park and several are completely destroyed while others have light to no damage at all. There is debri scattered every where and a lot of uprooted trees. I tried to go down and see the damage first hand Saturday but could not get there because of the fallen trees and power lines in the roads. I will be going down there next Saturday help with clean up and to get some pictures that I will post here. There were seven people at the park when Charlie blew through. They all got into the fire station to ride out the storm because it is the strongest building on the grounds and luckly it held. Many people I know here in the Tampa area evacuated to the Ft. Meade and Sebring area to get out of the projected path. The problem with hurricanes is that they change direction and strength.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:02:06 PM
Heller D. Davis

The park is a disaster area. Major,major building damage. Major tree damage. New eng. bld. destroyed. mach. shop destroyed, Pole barn roof off up to the kitchen and club store. Church roof missing lots of tin. Jack & Barbs bls. major damage. Their new bld. behind the main one demolished. Several blds. in village destroyed. We need all the volunteers we can muster to help with the clean-up. We are gathering this Fri. & Sat. to start on it. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:12:00 PM
Heller D. Davis

There are more than four buildings that didn't appear to have major damage. Freds garage, Sparks Emporium, Model T Bld. IH blds. Womens bld. the new restroom on the north east corner next to the tractor pull are didn't appear to be damaged from a short distance. It was so wet we were afraid of getting bogged down so we didn't go all the way back. The caretakers home and shop didn't look to bad and the restrooms there looked ok. Ralph lost the canopy he had installed this past year. Helicopter blown over also. Roger Chase's barn demolished also. The bank roof blown off. Batchers barn had the doors blown out.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:49:19 PM
Tim Walker

What time on Fri and Sat will work be going on and what do we need to bring? Will there be other days where the park is open for work? Want to try to lend a hand to help clean up. So many people have put so much time into making the park absolutely wonderful. It is such a shame so much had to be destroyed.