Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Bearing Clearence

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1225 times

Old 02-24-2000, 08:59:26 PM
Richard

Default Bearing Clearence

I've just started messing around with stationary engines I've got a 1 1/2 hp Fuller & Johnson hit n miss are the main bearing and rod bearings shimmed like on a JD tractor or are they gut snug tight. The engine I got came in a drum I have no idea what goes where Thank you Richard
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2000, 10:09:04 PM
Tom

Default Re: Bearing Clearence

The bearings are shimmed. Snug them up tight without shims, and the crank won't be able to turn. The rod and crank bearings should be tight enough to get rid of slop, but still have enough clearance to turn freely. You should get a manual for your engine from one of the advertisers on this site. Be sure to tell them that you saw their ad on Harry's site.
Old 02-25-2000, 08:40:32 AM
Tom

I like to snug up the cap then add "Time Saver" lapping compound and oil.This product is designed to lap soft bearings and works very well. with the lapping compound in place I run the engine or use a electric motor while tightening the caps and adding more oil.In a few minutes the process is complete.
Old 02-25-2000, 11:49:38 AM
Orrin Iseminger

Where do you get your Timesaver lapping compound. I've heard a lot about it, but don't know where to buy it.
Old 02-25-2000, 08:27:06 PM
Tom

My can of medium[soft metals] came with my workshop but it can be purchased from McMaster-Carr supply co.They won't send you a catalog unless you meet some standard ?.I get old ones where I work.Anyone can order from them and they are incredibly quick and have everything. All engine collectors should have a catalog. Go to a business that you are friendly with and look at the copy they have.Phone order # in N.J.732-329-3200
Old 02-25-2000, 10:14:32 PM
David Showerman

Tom, How does this compound differ from valve lapping compound? Dave
Old 02-26-2000, 07:39:45 AM
Allen

Their website can be viewed at http://www.mcmaster.com
Old 02-26-2000, 11:04:59 AM
mark fralick

ido not think lapping the bearings are the answer.if you look in any old engine manual it will say to remove shims until the bearing is snug on the shaft but still turns free .it takes time but i think you will have a better job
Old 02-26-2000, 11:57:03 AM
Tom

Maybe my response was misleading. the bearing will still have to be shimmed after the lapping is complete.Lapping removes any high spots and produces a smooth surface to be final fitted with the correct shims
Old 02-26-2000, 02:41:45 PM
Tom Fisher

Do you know what year your engine is? If you have the number, Verne Kindschi has the records. Very early 11/2hp N types(e.g 1915)do not appear to have had shims on the mains, there is no way of fitting them. Pull down the bearing caps evenly to give firm support but not grip the shaft. Then use lock nuts to secure. A strip of cork can be used each side to stop grease throwing. The big ends appear to have always used shims, and should be adjusted so that the con rod will slowly rotate around the big end under its own weight when tried out of the cylinder. This has worked on my own engine which has run ok for three years. Engines built around 1920 or so that I have seen do have shimmed mains. (I now wait for the cries of "rubbish" etc).
Old 02-28-2000, 03:19:10 PM
David Hughes

Hurrah, I thought I was seeing something too wierd when I saw this same setup on my "Problem Child" Sta-Rite 1 1/2 hp sparkplug engine, Model A1, made around 1911. The con rod bearing may be fit the same way, it was broken up and I cannot tell. It is possible to install shims, but the space used by the cork has to be fit with a spacer to produce a flat surface. The surfaces of the bearing holders (in the Sta-Rite) are rough cast, they are not milled or smoothed. The spacer has to be fit to the surface. Another Sta-Rite I've seen used aluminum stock for spacers (I assume the aluminum spacer was soft, in order to conform to the rough surface). Brass stock might also work.