Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

1 hp Upright Help Needed

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 946 times

Old 05-19-2018, 02:41:03 PM
Subscriber

Default 1 hp Upright Help Needed

One hp experts out there, need your help. My stove leg backfires through the carberator and hits on every cycle. Classic symptoms of timing being off but it's not. The baffle on the piston is on the bearing side. Is this right? Maybe this is the problem? Timing is set at TDC which is to manual spec. Could a carberator problem cause this? I've had it apart recently so maybe something is not back right. I'm thinking the piston baffle direction above. Governor is working okay. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2018, 08:30:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1 hp Upright Help Needed

kevin, the piston is installed correctly as you have it.try setting your timing at 1/4" before top dead center and see if this works better.
i hope this helps
clement
Old 05-19-2018, 09:39:10 PM
Subscriber

Clement, thanks! I'll try that. I had it a little before TDC before moving it to TDC but didn't make much difference. But I'll advance more than and see what happens. Also I'm going to try a new battery. Not so sure now a weak battery isn't to blame. Kevin
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31:43 PM
Subscriber

kevin, were you able to get your engine to run properly? just curious!!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08:01 PM
Subscriber

Clement, have not had a chance to get back to it this week yet. Day job and side business mowing grass. I'm thinking battery might be too weak creating a weak spark which may be throwing the timing off at ignition maybe. If it doesn't end up being that then I'm at a loss. Only other possibility maybe would be intake passage in cylinder partially clogged but I think that very unlikely. Had it running last year with no problem. Using 6 volt lantern battery from last years show. Kevin
Old 05-25-2018, 02:13:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,177 Times in 3,995 Posts

Ditch the lantern battery! dry cells do not recover when used, and will also self discharge with time. Buy one of the emergency light sealed lead acid batteries and a charger. you will be glad you did! you want a charger that is less than 10% of the battery amp rating, so you do not 'burn' the battery plates. For instance - a 4 amp hour battery should use a 400 Milliamp or less charger. These batteries last, and can be re-charged overnight. The 4 amp battery should last you a weekend, more amps means longer load life. A weak battery will cause backfiring, and so will a weak (over lean) mixture. That may be due to dirt in the carb, poor bearing fit, or even blocked ports. is the exhaust port clear? What kind of muffler do you have (if any)? A too restrictive exhaust will not let the engine breath properly. if you are running the engine very slow, and have no muffler or exhaust pipe, that too will cause a lean condition. Change the battery first, then see how it goes.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39:33 PM
Subscriber

Andrew, thanks. I have a few of those with a charger that came from TSC. Just didn't dig them out of the show supply box in the garage. I'll probably do that tomorrow. Kevin
Old 05-26-2018, 07:37:01 AM
Subscriber

kevin,do you have good spark all the time? do you have a one piece or a two piece governor? i have a 1/2 hp upright that was giving me fits last year,and i determined it had intermittent spark caused by corrosion on the two piece governor where the two halves go together.after a good clean up it had good spark and ran fine!
clement
Old 05-26-2018, 03:44:31 PM
Subscriber

Clement, it had ok spark I thought. I'm going to put a charged wet cell battery on it to see if that helps. It has a two piece governor that I took apart and adjusted. But I think it was fairly clean. But I'll look at that again too. This is an evening project as its in the 90's now. Thanks, Kevin
Old 05-28-2018, 10:05:34 PM
Subscriber

Back to runing okay. Recharged battery and cylinder bolts were lose, so that didn't help. Thinking to much leakage made it unhappy. Kevin