Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Problem Maytag Model 92 engine

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 7936 times

Old 09-08-2012, 11:57:05 PM
Registered-I

Default Problem Maytag Model 92 engine

I was trying to get one of my first Model 92 Maytag engines running once and for all. This one has never performed well for me, but always gives the impression that it wants to take off and run.

I bought it ten years ago from a widow whose husband was really into gasoline engines, Model-T's etc. He was known for magnificent work when restoring anything.

The engine was built between July and October 1928. It is a short base deep tank.

I have had it running a few times at a couple of shows. The longest I recall ever having it run was about 10 to 15 minutes, and then it would mysteriously die.

I bought Marvin McCullough's restoration manual, and thoroughly went through the timing. I have .020" point gap, and it's opening well within the 13/32 - 19/32 range as shown in the manual. I've tried several spark plugs ranging from .020 to .035 gap. I am getting spark. I had it running earlier today, but shut it off to adjust the governor. It was popping about 3-4 times, then pausing for several seconds, and then popping a few times again. I tried again this evening and couldn't get it running at all. It popped nearly every time I kicked the pedal, but was determined not to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04:12 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Problem Model 92 engine

try an inductive timing light on it to see if it is still sparking after it pops then quits.maybe the gov is staying latched out.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,054 Times in 3,945 Posts
Exclamation Re: Problem Model 92 engine

Check your points gap. Check to see that the governor spring has tension on it. Make sure the governor arm is not binding, and is returning home when the engine stops. If you try to slow the engine too much, it will not release the latch out, thus stopping the engine. Too loose a spring will also affect the timing.Check the engine speed with a hand held manual tach. it should latch off around 1150 to 1200 RPM. You probably can slow to around 1000 RPM, but you probably will run into fouling/timing issues.
Andrew
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,183 Times in 699 Posts

Had one giving me fits last month also. After everthing but shooting it and putting it out of its misery I finally found the issue. It had been sitting near my fabrication table for quite awhile and the magnets had been accumulating grindings and looked awfull fuzzy. It would start and die a short while later. Figured the grindings would go to a specific spot when not running and then with all the vibrations of running they would short out the ignition. When it stopped running it would fire up and repeat the whole scenario. Some good strong blasts of air and a good wiping down cured it and now runs great.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03:14 PM
Registered-I

Thanks everyone for your input. I checked the governor and it seems to have a reasonable amount of tension. The points are gapped at .020" I had the cover off the flywheel and the magnet is clean. I checked the spark, and it seems to be strong at times and then other times it seems very weak. It may be the coil, but I've had a number of people tell me that the coils very seldom go bad. There is no problem with pumping the fuel, because the spark plug is wet when I pull it out to check it.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53:38 PM
Registered-II

your check ball at the bottom of the car (tube in the tank) may be gummed up. Happens with mine all the time,
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30:35 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by redr2 View Post
your check ball at the bottom of the car (tube in the tank) may be gummed up. Happens with mine all the time,
That was one of the first things I checked out. It did need a little cleaning out, but the engine reacts the same, but at least I can cross that off the list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:03:03 PM
Registered-I

I just tried it again this evening. I filed the points, they are not perfectly even, but should be making enough contact. The spark seems okay, but all I got out of it was a single pop after I poured a little gas in the cylinder. I must have cranked it over at least 50 times. With that raw gas in it, it should have done something. I used a spark plug with over .030 gap and one properly set at .020, both showing good spark when I tested. Now what to do next.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29:14 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Problem Maytag Model 92 engine

have you tryed a new plug? if you foul a plug just throw it away they are most likly junk at that point. also have you checked the air valve and spring? if the spring is distorted or an incorrect spring it will act like you discribe.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38:30 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Problem Maytag Model 92 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote62ny View Post
have you tryed a new plug? if you foul a plug just throw it away they are most likly junk at that point. also have you checked the air valve and spring? if the spring is distorted or an incorrect spring it will act like you discribe.
Interesting point! I was going to mention this and forgot. I filed quite a bit off the air valve, I would say at least 1/16", I was wondering if this would affect the spring, but then I reassembled it and forgot all about it. Should I get a new air valve? Was that too much to file off of it?