Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Wood Shop and Projects
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wood Shop and Projects Engine Skids & Carts, Pattern Making, General wood shop projects and tools.

Wood Shop and Projects

Any wood workers out there?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3271 times

Old 01-10-2007, 12:09:36 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Any wood workers out there?

I'm trying to get a Craftsman wood lathe up and running again that a neighbor gave me a few years back and there were 2 critical parts missing,that's why he gave it to me in the first place!
I looked the model up 103.23881 and the parts are available BUT when I saw the price - 10% employee discount + 7% NJ State Tax + shipping ,I decided that I have the tools and equipment to fabricate both pieces. Actually will use my new Miller 55 Plasma cutter to cut and rough shape them.
What I need ,if anyone would be so kind, is the measurments for the "tool rest" and the "sliding tool rest holder.
The tool rest seems to have markings along the top edge for posistioning the gouge for gouging evenly spaced rings. I need the length or the rest,those spacer markings,the diameter of the post and heighth from bottom to top.
On the tool rest holder I need the thickness,width and length.The diameter of the assembly hole toward the back,width and length of the adjustment slot..Also in there's any type of recess on the bottom.
It won't be as pretty but it will work just as well as store bought and I'll have that lookey what I did,with someone elses help..
Thanks to anyone or who ever can provide these measurments...
Gene
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2007, 12:29:43 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Any wood workers out there?

Gene you might try here...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:18:54 PM
Registered-III

or you can try www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13:18 AM
Registered

Gene,

Wood lathes are a simple afair and I have never seen one tool rest yet with graduations of any kind on it. I made my own rest recently for my Powermatic model 90. All it requires is a moovable mount for the bed of the machine and a rest shaped like a T to steady your tool on. I am not sure how your lathe is constructed. I have seen many Craftsman lathes with round ways. Is that how yours is? I would be happpy to make sugestions and help if I can.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17:07 PM
eMail NOT Working

Byron,Gordon and 57chevywagonman,
Thank's for answering! I'll visit those 2 sites tonight to see what I can find ! This lathe is one of the 1st of Sears tubular way lathes! Prior to this mod they had heavy CI double way bed's.
I know what the missing pieces look like and could just "wing it" for the diminsional work but it would be easier to draw a known pattern,transfer it to my bar stock and burn out anything that doesn't resemble the pattern..
The Plasma cutter is a new experience to me so I'll probably end up ruining the 1st attempt BUT unlike wood I can Mig it back up and burn it off til I get it right.
Thanks again...
Gene
Old 01-13-2007, 04:33:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,306 Times in 1,611 Posts

Gene: I saw some wood lathe stuff at the flea market the other day. The guy had a set of rusty, gouges, a steady rest, face plate and a couple of other things he said were for a wood lathe . I bought the 4 jaw South Bend chuck he had in the pile for my 9" lathe. It cost me $30 . I passed on a used Shop Smith two weeks ago for the asking price of $200 because it looked a bit abused and was in pieces. I should have just bought it for the lathe . He said it worked, but where wood (sp) I put it? Just runing out of room, at home.
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 01-14-2007, 09:40:05 PM
eMail NOT Working

Paul,
I used to get up early on Wed and run out to Collingswood Auction and hit every table,then do the same thing on Sat and Sun, but my aches n pains started making me want to sleep in a little longer so I got there later after the "good stuff" went home with someone else. I guess it's been 2-3 years since I went there.. I can remember 7-8 years ago doing all of Englishtown ,you know how big that place is..
The best though was Raceway Park when they had one of those 3 day party's where anything at all could be found. That's where I found a 5 HP 220 1~ motor for my air compressor,guy wanted $50 and I had blown everything but $35,but he took the $35 and we piled it on top of one of the 2 big red wagons that were piled high with parts,tools,SS Wheel covers for motor home etc,etc. Left there and went straight home,couldn't stop for coffee, couldn't pay for it.

As for that Shop Smith you did the right thing by passing on it! Takes up too much room and not really intended for people of our needs! :>) That's the Tim Taylor the Tool Man in me speaking..MORE POWER RAAHHRAAHH.

I've been watching the Bay for the above mentioned articles but those guy's bidding on the ones that are listed
are out of their gourds! Can buy a new one for $18 and they're bidding them up to $31 plus $8-9 shpng,so I'll make my own and after I've finished cutting,welding and grinding I'll have a couple $$ in material and $3400 worth of cutting and welding equip !! But it'll be mine!!

Gene
+
Old 01-15-2007, 11:40:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,306 Times in 1,611 Posts

Gene: I've probably seen you at Collingwood over the years and never knew it . I now usually wear a hat with a SMOKSTAK button on it. Sometimes green, blue or if it's cold the old red plad wool hunting cap. I used to sell with the wife before Harry's came around and usually had an engine with me before the place burned down many years ago. Ocassionally a friend and I would load up a trailer and just set it up and let them run and have our own engine show. The owner loved it and let us set up for free . I still run into folks that remember us and our engines. Weather permitting I'm usually there after work (er. break) on third shift but don't get there untill (8:30-9:00) and any engine related stuff is gone (to many folks "LOOKING"). However, it's just not engine stuff I look for so there's always a hope of finding something I just got to have . I gave up on Englishtown many, many years ago, and I have most everything I need to make anything (except a plasm cutter). Like you, I'll have a few $'s in material and $1,000's in equip, but it's in my back yard just waiting for the next use . Good talking with you.
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03:55 AM
eMail NOT Working

Paul,
Yep I do remember seeing a bunch of men standing around watching 2 H&M engines going bang chumpachumpachum-pa bang etc etc. Both engines were probably 1-1/2hp and both were sitting on one of those 4 wheeled furniture dollies which amplified their shaking..
Still it brought back memories and aroused a deep seated
yearning to have one, but up til then that yearning was firmly buried due to tight finances.
It was either a Chevy PU or SUV that the owner was sitting on the tail gate talking to 1 of the observers.It was more than likely you as that was the only time that I saw them.
That was a few years ago.
Today I bought the bar stock for those 2 parts that I'm going to fabricate,if the sun is out tomorrow I'm going to get started on them.
What I paid for the material would have bought 1 of them but it'll be more fun watching each part emerge from a few pieces of steel.
I have a 12in thickness planer that I built, from a Mechanical Magazine, about 40 years ago using junk yard material.Had a friend machine the blade arbor,used wringer washing machine rollers to move board along a stainless steel table,which can be reversed by turning the wringer gear head that reverses the drive rollers.
I used a 3 HP brush type 220 volt motor.Ran a lot of Oak thru it but it' too big(20"wide36"long and about36"high)to move around and no room in cellar so I broke down and bought a Delta 22-250 that's small enough to store on shelf under cabinet saw extension table and still have room for this lathe..
Old Betsy is a rustic looking piece of machinery though! She'd look good running on one of those old Kohler Light Plants dressing planks that just came out of the saw mill.. I have photos but forgot how to post them! Maybe if it's cloudy tomorrow I'll stay in and see if I can figure it out again.
Gene