Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Wood Shop and Projects
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wood Shop and Projects Engine Skids & Carts, Pattern Making, General wood shop projects and tools.

Wood Shop and Projects

Woodworking Help!

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1882 times

Old 03-31-2017, 01:52:07 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Woodworking Help!

Well J box didn't know what there called my dad I miss him when stuff like this is discussed he was retired at least 45 years as a master electrician my brother is a master electrician , pipe fitter you name it he's licensed and I remember him talking to my dad about big power 440 and up and the equipment they had my dad knew nothing about because technology passed him kind of sad but even in the field of the funeral service I work in the procedures in the civil war and what we have now can be related to my dad . My dad wired what you see and I will be there when I'm dead But I appreciate the word of caution . Boy he was good in his day !

Ronny

---------- Post added at 01:52:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42:49 PM ----------

J box not really accessible now but if I have to get in there quick crow bar will do it . Could have made a door but I didn't feel it was necessary I'm not going to sell my house kind of off subject now to get back to that door been experimenting with home made stain rusty bolts and vinegar I'm going to darken the light wood what about taking wire wheel to that door and putting coat of darker stain to age door or make it look like surrounding wood . The trouble its maple beautiful door went into my mom and dads living room .

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2017, 01:58:56 PM
Registered-III

here's wall and door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	278924  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:27:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,729 Posts

I tried a home brew stain from vinegar and steel wool last year, I cringed every time I walked around the corner and looked at it, ended up sanding it down and putting real stain on it. If you want the wood to look like it was salvaged from a burned out building the vinegar rust stain might work.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:09:19 PM
Subscriber

stain the pallet wood , lightly sand after,then hit it with some clear... You'll love it, and won't screw up a beautiful door.
Here's some pics of the little bench I can scratch off my honey-doo list ....
Ruff cut maple ,. Stained with red oak , lightly sanded to reveal the saw marks, then cleared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14909869577751452837764.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	278929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170331_145949.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	278930  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big Bird For This Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33:19 PM
Registered-III

Wow BIGBIRD beautiful I want to keep wall the way it is just darken the undardened wood I tried some vinegar I made some time ago turned it like barn board I'm going to experiment with the vinegar cheap steel wool rusty nuts bolts acorns butter nuts you name it you can make stain with it.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 09:33:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30:24 PM ----------

Dalmation I tried the rust stain it looked like dark red maybe left rusty bolts in solution too long .
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny p 148 View Post
I built a wall using old pallet wood going to put 5 13 /34 inch shelves for my antique bottles the wood is free cant beat it and I love the looks of pallet wood .But the door sticks out like a sore thumb. I live the door it has 6 windows it was my dads its at least 80 years old . What can I do to the door that's easy that will make it fit with surrounding wood . I'm not a wood worker or carpenter that's why I use pallet wood cant install it bad its all beat up and black split looks good So what can I do . hers few pics .

Ronny
I like it .
I would leave it as it is. You said you like the pallet wood . The door come from your dad. Anytime someone looks at it they will say, I remember that door at your dads house. It's cool how you used old lumber to enhance the look of the door.
Cheers
Martin