Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Mogul Magneto

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 878 times

Old 04-11-2018, 09:58:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,092 Times in 381 Posts
Default Mogul Magneto

I have a 12hp IHC Mogul. The other day I removed the whole magneto from the engine and brought it to a friend with a magneto charger. He suspended the mag from a rope over the charger and we watched in amazement as my mag stopped 90 degrees off of where it should have stopped when locating the poles.
We also charged the mag for a 35hp Ingeco. Same process to locate the poles but that mag oriented it's self properly and it was charged.
This was the first time I have ever seen this process but my friend has done this many times. He said he had never seen a mag stop 90 degrees off like mine did and refused to go any further. And I was ok with that.
So here are my questions, what is going on with my mag? How do I correct this?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,823 Times in 1,494 Posts
Default Re: Mogul magneto

Made in China?.....
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35:06 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Mogul magneto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
Made in China?.....
If it has two magnets???? on it ,Maybe the second one was put on N to S instead of both North Poles together????????
The Following User Says Thank You to D Reachard For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12:01 PM
Banner Sponsor

Default Re: Mogul Magneto

A compass works great for finding the polarity. Also helpful to move around magneto parts to determine where poles are and what polarity. I've seen all kinds of odd things. One Wico X mag last year, the two "poles" on the magnet rotor, one should be south one should be north. Both "poles" were north and the actual shaft through the center was south.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:21:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,092 Times in 381 Posts

I ended up buying an IHC low tension magneto book. In it it says the magnets should have punch marks on them for orientation. I took the band off and they are in the correct positions. When we had this problem a compass was telling us they were maybe not right. Now when i use a compass there is distinctly a north and a south. I believe what happened is i had 3 mags in my backseat kind of in a pile which i have since read is a no no. So i think that may have temporarily confused the magnets.
I've already put the mag back on my engine and ran it with out having it charged. The magnets have what feel like no pull when i touch them with any steel. I dont know anything about mags really so dont know how much pull it should have when you touch something to it or if all the magnetic power is already directed into the mag or maybe i shouldn't be messing with it at all. Im also sure opinions on that will vary.
So now the mag is back on the engine and the engine does run. What started all this is the engine is hard starting. Ive had the igniter out and cleaned. Last year I was starting on battery an coil then switching it back to the mag. Yes being very careful to ground the lead from the mag to the mag and never have power running to the mag from the coil and battery.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:18:43 AM
Registered-III

The magnets should have quite a bit of 'pull' on them. A small screwdriver should be able to be held against the magnets but not for a long time. You should also feel the pull of the magnets as you rotate the magneto, if not it's back to the maggy shop to rectify the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post: