Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Help Needed: IHC H4 Magneto

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 11893 times

Old 03-12-2007, 01:36:18 PM
Registered-II

Exclamation Help Needed: IHC H4 Magneto

Greetings all. Hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a 'How to' guide for overhauling the H4 out of my '53 Super A. Ideally what I'd like to find are a parts/assembly diagram and timing/set-up info. Any help GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39:02 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default Re: Help needed: IHC H4 Magneto

Buy an I-T Shop Manuel for the Super A. This should help. About a year ago I had a guy bring me his mag from a C or Super C. He had been to the local Case-IH dealer who did not have a clue. They sent him to me. The owner of the mag had installed points and a condenser and did not have any fire. I disaasemblied the mag and did not see any thing wrong. As I put it back together, I checked the fire from time to time. When I put the late cover on the mag, it lost fire. The problem was a poorly positioned wire that shorted out when the last cover was installed.

Kent
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43:02 PM
Registered-II

Yeah, I've got the I&T manual, but it doesn't really cover the mag in any depth...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19:29 PM
Registered

What kind of trouble are you having.
Bill
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27:51 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt123 View Post
What kind of trouble are you having.
Bill
None yet, but I haven't actually got it reassembled; I've got it mostly apart and cleaned, awaiting the arrival of new gaskets, points & condenser. Basically what I want are the specs for timing, and any other info needed as part of a major overhaul...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08:47 AM
Registered-I

I see this is an Old thread but I am new here and have simular related problems & need help...My 1953 Farmall Super A also has a IH Type 4 Magneto and I believe it has problems...can anyone advise me of Good Web Sites or Books to help understand the workings of this this Magneto? Also, on a simpler note,I know nothing about Mags, so here's a stupid question but when I Hand Crank the Engine should I be Hearing 2 clicks on the Mag or 4????? thanks for you're help, Dan O'
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44:33 PM
Registered-III

These two links have the IHC Blue Ribbon Magneto Service Manual posted if they don't work just keep trying them later one will work eventually. You'll need a tractor service manual to help more with timing the mag to your model. Searching the Case IH parts site for your tractor you can also find the parts list breakdown for that tractor and magneto or other items.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blu...tos/index.html

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../PetrolMag.htm

http://www1.caseih.com/northamerica/...es/search.aspx

Mag parts you now get from Case IH are the same without the IHC emblem that I and other aftermarket suppliers sell they all come from the same place now.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:00:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,052 Times in 3,942 Posts
Exclamation Re: Help needed: IHC H4 Magneto

For a 4 cylinder engine, you should hear 2 clicks per revolution. It takes 2 complete revolutions for all 4 cylinders to hit the firing stroke. Assuming that it is a flat plane crank, you should hear a click at every 180 degrees, as the #1 cylinder reaches each top and bottom center. Clicks should be evenly spaced and consistant. Skipping latch off may be caused by a weak or broken spring, worn latch up parts, or a gummed up latching assembly.

If the mag has not been removed, place #1 cylinder at TDC firing, and note position of the rotor on the mag. Then remove and check out the mag. Re-install in the same position and you are good to go. MAKE SURE the engine is NOT turned over in the mean time! If the mag has been removed before, again turn the engine to TDC firing on #1 cylinder, and see if the rotor is pointing to #1 post in the cap, and that the distributer, in fact, latches off at TDC.

Andrew
Old 04-26-2010, 04:02:47 PM
Registered-III

Hopefully it has the right mag on it the Farmall A would use a CW drive 35 degree H4 mag just like the B,H & M. There were CCW drive H4 also for W9 and other industrial engines. Be sure it's firing like Andrew said if not you have the timing off or be sure to check the dist rotor gear shaft is timed inside the mag correctly. Many times someone changes the points and doesn't get the rotor gear timed correct again.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00:08 PM
Registered-II

Here http://www.oldcroak.com/internationa...-magneto-rx-1/
is a pretty good illustrated discussion of the H4

I just stitched all the pages of IH GSS 5035 magneto service manual, which I believe covers all the mags IH used, into one 70 page document....happy to post it somewhere or e-mail it.