Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

DJB 6.0KW DC Charging Circuit question?

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3525 times

Old 06-20-2005, 05:49:59 PM
Registered-II

Default DJB 6.0KW DC Charging Circuit question?

I have come upon a "basket case" djb genny (MODEL 6DJB 3R/3435G SER#83C729909 GEN.DATA 6JB3N1B) and have managed to reassemble it to the point of getting ready to cranking it over. All the wiring looks to be right per the wiring diagrams in the onan manual. My question is about a large 3/4" dia. resistor located in the blower exhaust port of the actual generator housing that I believe to be an adjustable charge rate for the dc starting system. There is one lead comming from the back of the blower port that looks to come from the windings area with a solderless connector that looks to go to this resistor. This brown resistor includes an adjustable metal slide band located on the out side of the resistor ...I think onan# (304A500). This part mounts on a threaded rod and pressed washers (top& bottom) that is connected at the top thru the gen housing and at the bottom on a "L" bracket. All of this assy is then covered by a grill type cover.
Now comes the wiring question ...There are three screw connectors along this resistor and another one on the sliding band makes four options to connect wire lugs. There is also a 3" lead with solderless connectors on each end that I assume to be a ground that was with the other parts. I have gone over the wiring diagrams and service manuals and there is no reference to how this adjustment works or connected. Any help from you guys would be great. Thanks for looking! If picture would hel I can provide....thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48:22 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: DJB 6.0KW DC Charging Circuit question?

I have some pix of my onan DJE that could be of help to you:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Dies...e/dscf0047.jpg
Old 06-21-2005, 12:24:46 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the response....looks close to what I have.....does the lower wire lead go to ground? I only see two wires...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:17:17 PM
Registered-III

I think that lower wire leads to ground. Unfortunately, I cannot check it now because the generator is inside an enclosure. It can be opened up, but it is not easy.

i
Old 06-21-2005, 05:27:52 PM
Registered-II

thanks for your help...still not to comfortable with starting until I know for sure...don't want to fry any thing. R
Old 06-21-2005, 07:58:15 PM
Registered-II

ok ...update ...tried to trace back one lead comming from the back of the blower port that looks to come from the windings area with a solderless connector. Found a metal tag on this lead w/ "B1" on it. looked for the opposite end but could not locate another B1 ....did find it to have connutity to B2....once again leading me to beleive it is an adjustment to the 12 volt battery charger. Looks like the picture sent to me by "i" has two connectors one B1 and one to ground. question is which one goes where?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59:19 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: DJB 6.0KW DC Charging Circuit question?

MAV,

Attached is a picture of my DJE's resistor that I think you are describing. Mine is wired up this way on the outside:
A wire (B1) comes from the generator head housing and attaches to the top connector on the resistor. A second wire connects the middle connector to the bottom connector on the resistor. The resistor must be grounded via the bottom connector or by the metal holder that holds it. My schematic shows the resistor connecting to the charger winding in the generator head I assume. This wire is labeled B1 as you have noted. From the generator charger winding to the #7 position on the wiring terminal in the control box the wire is labeled the B2 wire. The opposite side of the #7 post on the wiring terminal runs to the rectifier.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the part numbers on the oil dipstickand cap also!

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resistor thingy.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2462  
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16:40 PM
Registered-II

Exclamation Re: DJB 6.0KW DC Charging Circuit question?

MAV,

OK I removed the resistor to see the rear bottom connection of the wire from the middle connector. It is connected to ground. On mine it is attached to a connector that is screwed on to the bottom of the resistor by the screw that mounts the resistor into the holding bracket.

Hope that clears up any question. My manual also states the following:

"The adjustable rate resistor slide tap (in the charging circuit) is set to give approximately 2 ampere charging rate. The resistor is located in the generator air outlet. For applications requiring frequent starts, check battery specific gravity periodically and, if necessary, increase the charging rate slightly (move slide tap up). Adjust only when engine is stopped. Avoid overcharging.
If usingb a seperate automatic demand control for starting and stopping, adjust the charge rate for its maximum 4. amperes. This normally keeps the battery charged even if starts occur as often as 15 minutes apart."

Jonathan
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34:58 PM
Registered-II

thanks for the response...A little confused.... looking at your picture ...the top connector is B1....and the adjustable slide connector(the one with two screws) is grounded to the housing...correct? thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 07:41:30 PM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav7771
thanks for the response...A little confused.... looking at your picture ...the top connector is B1....and the adjustable slide connector(the one with two screws) is grounded to the housing...correct? thanks
Circuit for charging 12Vdc is:
Ground to bottom of resistor, to slider of resistor.
top of resister to B1 Winding on Genend
Winding B2 to Terminal 7 in Control Panel
Terminal 7 to Negative side of CR11 Rectifer Diode
Positive side of CR11 Rectifier Diode to load side of Ammeter.
Adjust for 2 amps charging current on Panel Meter for Normal Running
Adjust for 4 amps charging current on Panel Meter for Frequent Starts
Schematic diagram, see Onan Control Genset Wiring Diagram # 612-4792
In Onan YD Genset Manual # 900-0184

Bruce in alaska
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16:38 PM
Registered-II

Bruce in alaska, Many thanks...after looking at the other fellows pictures I was 99% sure this was the correct way to hook this up.
Went out tonight and finished the install. Will crank it for the first time this weekend! Thanks every one for your help..... Mav
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56:56 PM
Registered-I

What would the voltage be on the output of the charging circuit if I put a
meter on it. Thank you. Darrell
Old 08-20-2006, 06:43:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,186 Times in 969 Posts

measuring the amps as listed in the instructions is the safest, but normally a 12 volt system will need at least 13.5 Volts to stay charged and no more than 14.5 to prevent overcharging. This would be measured with the battery in circuit and fully charged. Voltage will be lower and amperage higher until the battery is charged.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50:37 PM
Registered

The maximum charge rate for the amperage is 4.5 amps.