eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

ebay question/problem

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 3198 times

Old 10-25-2014, 07:45:37 PM
Registered

Default ebay question/problem

I sold a lot of capacitors on ebay, my listing said no returns, all sales final, the buyer says they are too big (physically) for his project, now he wants his money back. What should I do? I don't want to get into a pissing match with him and ebay.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2014, 08:25:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: ebay question/problem

If your listing said no returns and you described them accurately, it's his problem. He can resell.
The Following User Says Thank You to stufforbud For This Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 01:36:31 PM
Registered-III

It doesn't really matter what your return policy is, if you sell on ebay, you take returns. If buyer files a case with PayPal they give him his money back (after item is returned to you at buyers expense) and take the money from your account. It used to be the buyer had to open a claim within 45 days but it has now gone to 6 months. If you think you can beat that system by transferring the funds to your bank account, and then emptying the account, think again. Your bank will give the money to PayPal and hit you with NSF charges.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:12:46 PM
Subscriber

depending how much money is involved, maybe consider a refund (restocking fee?), if he pays for the return shipping. If you plan to sell frequently and more on Ebay, it is not worth the fight vs. negative feedback. As others mentioned, Ebay is not buyer friendly and all recent policy changes will benefit the buyer. As the seller, and actual money maker for Ebay, you are still at the bottom of the Totem pole. Don't fight the wind mills
Old 11-15-2014, 03:56:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,399 Posts

With the opening post being 3 weeks old now, I'd be interested in hearing how Bob made out on this.

Yes eBay does protect buyers, but they also protect sellers if your listings clearly state the terms of the sale.

In his case it sounds like a clear case of buyer's remorse and eBay should have backed Bob if they tried to make an issue of it.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:10:46 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard Bob View Post
I sold a lot of capacitors on ebay, my listing said no returns, all sales final, the buyer says they are too big (physically) for his project, now he wants his money back. What should I do? I don't want to get into a pissing match with him and ebay.

Bob
One thing that would probably make a difference would be if you SPECIFICALY stated the EXACT size of them in the item specifics section & Also Clearly in the description. I sell a fair amount on ebay found that if you are not real specific in your description ,ebay will find in the buyers favor, but if you are real clear on the specifics you have a real good chance to prevail. If a seller is at all vague in the description ......he WILL lose wit ebay mediation.

Last edited by Doug Oldenburg; 11-15-2014 at 04:14:13 PM. Reason: little more info.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:51:12 PM
Registered

This is the email I sent to the buyer:

Hi Mike, sorry they did not work for you. If there was potentially a size issue maybe a question was in order. I have found with ebay assumptions are a bad thing. Maybe you could try to resell them?

Thanks, Bob

I haven't heard anything since, so I guess all is good, yay!

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard Bob For This Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 04:30:59 PM
Registered-II

E-bay has a satisfaction money back guarantee now.
It does not matter what you say the buyer can return it.
One of the item the buyer can pick for returning it is....
I just don't like it.....
E-bay sucks anymore.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20:07 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,073 Times in 526 Posts

I sold a tractor mag that was HOT when I sold it and shipped, the buyer received but then took it apart and couldn't get it to turn then filed a claim against me, I state in my ads no returns but I took his return and found that he had reassembled it wrong so it wouldn't turn and I has it fixed in 10 minutes but he wouldn't take it back and gave me negative feedback and Ebay wouldn't do anything about it. Ebay is such a crook of shit. They took what he paid and the shipping out of my account and refunded back to him
CHECK OUT MY ENGINE VIDEOS AT
http://www.youtube.com/user/gasenginetom
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31:04 PM
Subscriber

OK, friends, even though this is a necro thread here is how it currently works:

- Even if you say 'no returns' eBay permits returns under certain circumstances.

- One of these reasons is 'item is not as described'.

- If you had the dimensions in the listing, you should be good to go.

- If you did not, you are probably on the hook for the return.

ADDITIONALLY:

- If a buyer requests a return and you say 'no', it does not go away even if the buyer stops replying.

- eBay waits a certain amount of time - three days or so IIRC - to give you and the buyer tome to resolve it on your own.

- You just saying 'no' is not a resolution. Again, even if buyer does not respond.

- After the waiting period eBay reps will look at your listing and all communications and will make a ruling. Usually they side with the buyer.

- To not have them side with the buyer you need a really, really good case AS WELL AS a good audit trail of trying to take the high road.

You sending a 'tough luck' message to the buyer will count against you. If you had OTOH replied with something like 'golly, while I did not list the actual dimensions in the listing, I did say that it was a NEMA 12345 unit and the industry standard is that these are 5" by 6" by 12". In fact, here are other listings for the same item from other sellers. No one lists the dimensions because the industry standard expectation is that anyone wanting a nema 12345 SIZE item knows what that means. I would have been happy to have explained this if you had messaged me before bidding, as clearly you were not sure what NEMA 12345 means.'

Now, that is an example, but it is an example of how you can get eBay to side with you.

The eBay reps that adjudicate these cases do dozens a day and they deal with all sorts of deadbeats and scam artists on both sides. The more rational, calm and professional you are, the better. the more that you lay out the needed information with no extraneous sidebar distractions, the better. Don't make them follow the breadcrumbs. Put it right out, clean and simple. Make their job easier - give them a reason to rule in your favor so that they move onto their next case.

But OP, the way you seem to have left it, they will rule against you because 'tough noogies' is not going to fly. Give them a reason to show that you have been operating in good faith and that you are above reproach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amax For This Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 06:43:03 PM
Subscriber

Damn Tom, that really sucks! E-Bay is really getting bad for sellers and they make it way to easy for buyers to pull all kinds of crap and get away with it! I myself just got done with a guy who purchased a dryer motor blower assembly, then he found out it didn't fit his dryer, then contacted me he wanted a refund and how "I" wanted to proceed! I pretty much told him he screwed up and I would give him a refund but he is paying for shipping because HE screwed up, not me! That was a month ago and haven't heard anything back yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:53:11 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFlux View Post
Damn Tom, that really sucks! E-Bay is really getting bad for sellers and they make it way to easy for buyers to pull all kinds of crap and get away with it! I myself just got done with a guy who purchased a dryer motor blower assembly, then he found out it didn't fit his dryer, then contacted me he wanted a refund and how "I" wanted to proceed! I pretty much told him he screwed up and I would give him a refund but he is paying for shipping because HE screwed up, not me! That was a month ago and haven't heard anything back yet.
If he contacted you outside of eBay or otherwise without going through the eBay return process you might be OK. But if the buyer filed the return request with eBay, what I wrote in the post above applies.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:27:33 PM
Subscriber

What gets me most of the time you send them a message about the item and they never respond so my thought is tough shit they don't need to sell it or just lost a bid.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:35:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,288 Posts

I sell old cb radios and such on ebay. Car radios and what not.
When I list them, I list as "Parts not working"
If they light up or something I tell what it will and wont do and explain that it does this at the time of the listing.Shipping and handling could change that.. But with the item listed as Parts not working, I feel Like I am covered.
I know of 1 case a friend that sells concert tshirts on ebay.
1 shirt she sold the buyer whined and wanted a refund. Ebay of course sided with the buyer. But they did say that he needed to ship the shirt back.
He did. it had been worn for about 2 weeks,not washed and had several tears and rips in it. She doubts it was even the same shirt. She sent photos and what not to ebay, they still sided with the buyer. Total scam pulled by the buyer.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45:25 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kreiner View Post
What gets me most of the time you send them a message about the item and they never respond so my thought is tough shit they don't need to sell it or just lost a bid.
That's just dumb. Anything I sell on eBay, I flood the buyer with messages, from a simple 'thank you for your business' to every step of the way with order fulfillment - in spite of the fact that eBay automatically provides them with certain automatic updates.

The reason is that everyone loves communication, no one likes sitting in the dark wondering what is happening, even when things are progressing smoothly.

A side benefit is that eBay can see that I am proactive about communication in case any deal goes tits up as I establish a track record - the eBay folks look at that if a problem arises. IOW, it is BS repellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amax For This Post: