eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

At What Point Do You Bid?

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 10246 times

Old 02-11-2013, 04:16:18 PM
Banned

Default At What Point Do You Bid?

I have heard two schools of thought as too when to place your bid on ebay. The first is to bid towards the end, this way your not nickle dimed at the end and loose. The second is to declare your bid early, this might scare off potential bidders. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, when do you think the best time to bid is?? This is what I have been doing, and it doesn't work too good, when I see something I want, I bid on it up to what I'm willing to spend, and then wait. Most of the time I loose by a very small amount, but some auctions end in the middle of the night, I can't sit up and wait, there's got to be a better way?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: At What Point Do You Bid??

My personal view is that eBay is significantly different from a "traditional" auction. At a "traditional" auction, everyone present (and even the phone bidders) have the opportunity to increase their bid before the auctioneer drops the hammer--putting everyone on an equal footing. With eBay, the guy who gets in the last bid before the auction ends is the winner--this really favors "sniper bidding". Other online auctions use different techniques --such as keeping the bidding open until a set number of minutes has elapsed with no further bidding. This also favors the guy who sets by the terminal with his finger poised for the kill.

My technique? I leave a small initial bid as a reminder to me --then when the auction is within a couple of hours of closing, I will leave my max bid -- and walkaway. If I win, I'm happy--if I don't, I'm happy cause I still have the money to play the game tomorrow.For me buying on eBay is just one facet of the hobby --and for me it really is a hobby.

Ray Rice, happily bidding, in Rifton
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25:54 PM
Sponsor

I have found it amazing how many items I have lost by the smallest amount. I talked with evilbay about this. They explained sniping to me! Tim
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,605 Times in 500 Posts

I'm curious what ebay's opinion of sniping is? Just a fact of life (on ebay), or a problem? I'm sure there are a lot of people who have lost auctions that are not happy with it, and a lot of people that have won auctions that are happy.

Also, you can add an auction to your "watch list" without having to bid. That way the other bidders have no idea how many people are competing for the item. This might make them place lower bids and help your chances of winning, or they might place a higher bid if they're paranoid... I personally don't like to let anybody know I'm interested, until the moment I bid.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40:51 PM
Subscriber

I use a snipe program service called e z sniper. For a small fee they will shoot your bid to e bay at the last fraction of a second. No matter what you do it really boils down to who bids the highest but with a snipe program you beat out anyone who is not bidding as fast as you are at the last minute. You can not beat anyone who bids higher than you before you no matter what.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,763 Times in 745 Posts

I don't trust snipe programs, but I always bid last second if I can. I have seen WAY too many auctions end with 10+ bids, each one the same guy raising it a few bucks each time until he finally outbids the high bidder or gives up. I figure on average over a year, these guys cost me an extra 20% over what they probably would have if they just would have put in a high bid and stuck with it rather then being indecisive and pecking away at it and getting stuck in the auction must win mindset.

Those 15 minutes after the last bid auctions are there for one reason, to make money. Sellers and auctions LOVE them. Buyers should hate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00:12 PM
Registered-III

If you place your HIGHEST bid at any point during the auction then nothing else matters.Your top dollar is your top dollar,period.If you get outbid then you weren't going to win anyway.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed Radtke For This Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03:21 PM

Thanked 19,738 Times in 5,805 Posts

Like Paul I don't use a snipe program either.
I wait until the last possible moment, bid my max, and that's that.
Early bidders are just bidding against themselves.
When I sell I do 3 day auctions.......who wants to monkey around for a WEEK to find out whether or not you are going to get something?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:17:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,711 Posts

I buy and sell on ebay, I use a snipe program mainly because I cannot sit around and wait. As a seller I don't mind people sniping, nothing better than 2 or more snipers, something looks like its going to go cheap, then BAM, thats what I was hoping for
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07:21 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Radtke View Post
If you place your HIGHEST bid at any point during the auction then nothing else matters.Your top dollar is your top dollar,period.If you get outbid then you weren't going to win anyway.
Bingo. If I really want something then I'll be willing to pay to get it.

I personally put in my bid early to drive the price up. Then when people search for cheap stuff, it doesn't show up as often and fewer people see the auction.

Always funny to see the snipers come in and lose. All that effort for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crosshair For This Post: