Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Antique Washing Machines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Washing Machines Old collectible washing machines as used on the farm.

Antique Washing Machines

Seized agitator shaft on Maytag? Don't give up!

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1306 times

Old 03-02-2017, 11:13:34 PM
Registered

Default Seized agitator shaft on Maytag? Don't give up!

A word of encouragement for anybody who has come across an antique Maytag Model 30/31 or 32/33 with a seized agitator shaft. Don't dismiss the machine as inoperable or not worthy of a restoration attempt, because I have been successful with two different units that were badly seized.

In both cases, I assume that the tub was overfilled with water, which then leaked down the agitator post. Maytag engineered a little "dome" or water-shed device that was located at the bottom of the shaft, just above the pinion gear. But I suppose with repeated overfilling of the tub, even that little gizmo could only do so much. In the photo, the drain hole is visible to allow a small amount of water to drain, avoiding ingress into the gear box.

My latest restoration project is a 1940 Model 32, and after repeated soaking with penetrating oil and applying heat with a propane torch, the shaft finally budged by using a large crescent wrench on the bronze agitator drive block. There was rust in the small space between the edge of the gear and the housing. In fact, the teeth on the gear are rusted, but not too seriously - thankfully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Agitator shaft pinion gear_before.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	276386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agitator shaft pinion gear.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	276387  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wringerwasherfan For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 10:15:27 AM
Registered

Default Re: Seized agitator shaft on Maytag? Don't give up!

It is so helpful to see what it took to free up the seized agitator post shaft on your Maytag Model 32.
When you poured penetrating oil down the shaft, did some of the oil drain out of the drive block end?
How long did it soak before the shaft began to loosen up?

I hope that sharing knowledge and experience allows more Maytag Model A, B, 30, 31, 32 and 33 to be saved from destruction in the junkyard or humiliation of becoming yard art, planting containers, or beer coolers.
All of the above Maytag Models use the same power unit and agitator post assembly and therefore are amenable to the same procedure, correct?
Mark.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:44:53 PM
Registered

I used penetrating oil and WD40 on both ends alternately, with the tub suspended over a large bucket to catch the dripping. Nothing really budged until I put the heat torch to the agitator post as well as the gear on the bottom of the shaft (underside of the tub.)

The final "treatment" was with a rust-dissolving product, "Releasall" which worked very well to loosen rust and crud, followed by a final lubrication with 3-in-1 oil.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:12:38 AM
Registered

An update to this post - my restoration project now completed. The album on Flickr has been updated with recent photos, but here's a preview...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/446236...57677314761124
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maytag model 32.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	282580