Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Looking for steel wheels

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4653 times

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Looking for steel wheels

I'm looking for steel wheels to build a cart for one of my engines. I would like to find 8 and 10" wheels. does anyone know ware i could find them? any help would be aprecated.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2010, 11:03:43 PM
speleausmining

Default Re: looking for steel wheels

Try looking for a local warehouse or shippers supply company. They often carry replacement wheels for warehouse carts. Personally I Have used wharehouse supply companies ocasionally but my favorite source is an antique store that has a large yard packed with "junk" The yard is actually just heaps of rusty iron with barely a spare space anywhere. Best of all stuff in the yard is cheap and if you are willing to dig you can really find some decent stuff. I have goten sets of wheels at 25 bucks a pair (50 bucks for 4).
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: looking for steel wheels

http://catalog.mrroller.com/viewitem...st-iron-wheels only other supplier i've found that has cast iron ones that look period other than one of the sponsors here. mark bruto in california if i'm correct.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07:06 PM
Registered-I

Photo Re: looking for steel wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
http://catalog.mrroller.com/viewitem...st-iron-wheels only other supplier i've found that has cast iron ones that look period other than one of the sponsors here. mark bruto in california if i'm correct.
Hi jordan ever thought about making your own, i did when none could be sourced got right size metal heated and formed around cast wheel the right size to form rim .Drill out holes for spokes.Get peice of pipe for hub and weld larger pipe on top
10mm back in to form hub.Cut spokes longer fit and adjust to centralize hub then weld and cut off excess spokes. Every where i go people assume it is original as it is simple blacksmithing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ingeco4 001.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	97767  
The Following User Says Thank You to junction 28 For This Post:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Looking for steel wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Perry View Post
I'm looking for steel wheels to build a cart for one of my engines. I would like to find 8 and 10" wheels. does anyone know ware i could find them? any help would be aprecated.
Try Cattail Foundry. He has many different size wheels.

Jim
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 496 Posts
Default Re: Looking for steel wheels

You can run a wanted ad on Harrys with as much detail as you can on what size you need. Od, width, bore.

I know I have some, but most everything is under 2 foot of snow now. Except maybe two sets of 4 that are probably little to a lot on the heavy side. I dont remember those eight might be 3 or 4 inches wide and 10 or 12 diameter and pretty big bore, maybe close to two inch. One set much heavier than other.

Would be hard to ship, although they might fit two per flat rate box. Might, might not fit all all or might need one box per for the heaviest. Anything for a typical 2hp cart, would be burried right now and perhaps frozen into the ground. Most likely stay that way till spring. I see a lot of wheels at engine shows. Most often you see pairs. That works ok sometimes, even if they dont match. It is not authentic, its just a convenience to move the engine.

Isnt there a big Florida show around this time of year?

There is a guy here selling IHC repro wheels that are very good quality and sized right for 2 or 3 hp engine. Don Ober?something I think. I got a set for my 3hp famous. You have to clean up the bore, they are rough cast.

I dont know what Cattail has, but they are good folks and make good castings. Although Amish, They do have a business phone. I think you generally leave a message and they call back. I would assume those would need a little finish work too. But, I dont know that.

Last edited by Peter; 01-12-2011 at 09:01:47 PM.