Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Another Cry For Help - Saint Louis Steam Engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 768 times

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Another Cry For Help - Saint Louis Steam Engine

Good evening all. I posted a few months ago a rather proud find of mine. A Saint Louis Steam Engine, circa 1898 give or take. One would think a lot of accurate information is available on the subject, NOT!
I can't begin to tell you how many hours of research I've done with minimal results. Thanks to Smokstak I found one another engine located in New Mexico, currently in a state of tear down and rebuild, picture attached, IDed as Engine Two. The gentleman who owns it had acquired a copy of Incorporation for the company in 1898 and un-incorporation as they went OB in 1918. Out side of a few ads I've found no other information!? You'd think with the internet there would be other pictures of them out there. NOT. I'd deeply appreciate it if any of you hear, see or find mention of the Saint Louis Steam Engine Co to please contact me so I can continue to build history.
Thank you all so much.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine One 4x4.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	275497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Two 5x5.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	275498   Click image for larger version

Name:	st louis star.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	275499  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12:19 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,017 Times in 2,233 Posts
Default Re: Another Cry For Help Saint Louis Steam Engine

There was a fellow that had a St. Louis air compressor FS at the Pawnee OK show 2-3 yrs ago. That, and your engine, are the only things I've ever heard about them.

Have you searched google books for information about them? I've had a fair bit of luck finding out stuff on more obscure makers that way.

One thing you may or may not know, but there were a LOT of smaller makers that made bottle frame engines like yours back in the day. It makes ID tough sometimes, unless there is a builders' plate, also everybody copied every body. Lots of builders were smaller, and only built a few engines. Almost every decent sized older city had at least one builder of steam engines back in the day. With that being said, information can be fairly hard to find on smaller, more obscure companies.

Good luck!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 06:37:24 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Another Cry For Help Saint Louis Steam Engine

One would think with the gigantic brass manufacture plate they're be more out there? So far, TWO!?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,527 Posts
Default Re: Another Cry For Help - Saint Louis Steam Engine

Maybe there are more out there, but they are missing the brass plate because so many people feel the need to rob brass plates