Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Microsoft Security Essentials?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2446 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2011, 01:33:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,803 Times in 486 Posts
Default Microsoft Security Essentials?

This week, I got a new computer for my home office - Windows XP Pro. I always used Windows Defender and found Microsoft Security Essentials when I went to download Defender. Microsoft's website said Defender was only for spyware and not virus protection. SE sounded better, so I downloaded it (I have dial-up). Then it immediately said it need updating, so I said OK. I let it download updates for 3 hours and it wasn't even half through, so I said heck with that, turned it off and went to bed. My question is: Would this extra-long download time be once only, or every time it needs to update? Should I chunk it and go for something else that can be updated in a faster time? If so, what do you all recommend? Remember, this is dial-up. I seldom surf the internet with that computer, mainly email and my website and store so I am usually not on the internet for extended periods of time.
Brenda S

Last edited by Brenda S; 02-17-2011 at 01:35:26 PM. Reason: Fixed something I should have seen before.