Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Atwater Kent ignition

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 245 times

Old 09-26-2019, 01:43:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,133 Posts
Default Atwater Kent ignition

If you've been to Portland you've probably seen Dwain's Indiana tractors, I remember them from my first time there in 1999. Talking to him several years ago we found out he had never run them since he and his dad restored them. After and hour or so we had one of them running although poorly. The next year we adjusted the valves and it ran fine, took a ride on it. He has since gotten two more running. The last one had an Atwater Kent ignition, no coil. The distributor was worn and had been been patched but didn't work. I was able to get it to snap but would not close the points every time. I took it home and modified it, removed the A-K parts, made a cam, machined the breaker plate and installed Ford points and condenser. I made some insulators for the plug towers, it's on the way to him, another should run soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AK.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	345106  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 02:17:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Atwater Kent ignition

JB,

That looks really good, should work fine.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Parrott For This Post: