Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid Starting tips

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1915 times

Old 06-30-2010, 04:01:07 PM
Registered

Default Reid Starting tips

I had my Reid 15 hp at a National show last Thurs,Fri, Sat and Sun. Lots of interest in the design of the engine. Got it to start couple of times for about 2 minutes then it would stall and couldnt start again. Running original gas valve out of wet gasometer with a hot tube. Started and ran fine after i finished it in 08. Now it seems fussy or maybe my inexperience. I installed a slide gate on the air to cut down the air coming in. I still have the original slide spool valves in the mixer which are not hooked up to the governor. Any tips or modifications I can try to improve reliability and tame down the hit intensity. Really frustrating when people have gathered to video the startup only to go away with a still photo of stopped engine and operator sweating like a pig. Thanks, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58:58 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: Reid Starting tips

Hey jim

i would hook it up to the propane tank with a gas grill regulator with a small accumulator tank, and see how she acts. Gasometers can be a little tricky. The reids really flood easily, so choking down the air is something you can play with after you get it running. Try with the hot tube just red on the bottom 2" and then at different temps.

Rod
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50:22 AM
Registered

You might want to make sure your intake valve is free and lubricated.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56:55 PM
Registered

Thanks Joe, I can hear the valve rattling when it transfers the charge over to the main cylinder but a little oil could do no harm. I t has been a while since I first got it runnng and things could be a little dry. Jim.