Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

International TD-18A Frozen Clutch

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 5000 times

Old 01-27-2011, 06:25:45 PM
Registered

Default International TD-18A Frozen Clutch

HI EVERYONE!

I'm having some trouble with this TD-18A. The left clutch has frozen solid from not being used. The right clutch works great! Is there a way for me to break this clutch free? Its a pain to only turn to the right. I was thinking there might be a liquid I could pour or spray on the clutch. Any ideas?

Eric
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: International TD-18A Frozen Clutch

Try PB blaster. It may work.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26:33 PM
Subscriber

cant remember how the housing is on that one .what we used to do is plug the drain put about a 1/2 gal mineral spirits in housing put Tran. in a high gear as possible disengage clutch on that side but do not apply brake.then drive and kept trying to apply brake on the other side.use the highs gear you can put more strain on clutch making it easer to break loose. you can try it without the mineral spirits the first time it works .when you get it broke loose you need to tie back the clutch leaver when not in use.one they rust to gather they will do it again . there maybe some thing Else causing the problem but that the usual thing
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,645 Posts

Plug the drain, fill it w/Diesel, let it soak a while w/the lever tied back...then drain it out, drive it around like Tony said, if you're lucky, it'll break loose. If your luck is like mine, on my TD6, you'll tear it apart, end up busting the clutch drum into pieces w/a BFH to get the good plates out, & find another drum...but hopefully, it'll break loose...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30:09 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,872 Times in 946 Posts

Lou Donaldsons TD-18 down at Flywheeler Park.Fla. had the same problem when he got it several years ago. He had to take it out after trying all of the above and I just happened to show up in time to get the job of taking the plates out for rehab. I spent the good part of 2 days and never got them all removed. He finally got it done after the show was over and it works great now but the tie back idea is a must. Good luck and pray you don't break something since parts for an 18 are hard to come by. ED B
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,281 Times in 913 Posts

If you want an idea of what it's like, I will try to find the posts from mdiesel on red power forums. The forum got updated and for some reason the posts weren't moved. Hopefully they were archived......
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09:15 PM
Registered

I'm going to plug the drain and fill the clutch housing up with some fluid. I'll let you know how this turns out. I'll post pictures and a video. If anyone else has any ideas about how to unstick this frozen clutch I would like to know about them.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12:40 PM
Registered

I've been told and it made sense to me.
Do not pull back on the steering clutch lever with the housing full of you're favorite fluid,if it breaks loose all that fluid will flow between the plates and disks,along with all the other crap that's in the housing,and that crap will take your steering clutch out....might as well pull it and fix it as ruin it right?

I filled mine on the TD14 (both stuck) with about 5 gal a side diesel,ran to back and forth for about 15 minutes,drained,and rode the brakes till everything was toasty then jammed on the left brake,left clutch disengaged and then hammered forward and back a little. And it popped loose,the right one still hangs on there.