Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

New Onan fault codes?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 16908 times

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32:48 PM
Registered-I

Default New Onan fault codes?

Hi all,

Im working on a newer onan generator set that has a power command panel 2100 on it, i recieved a shut down fault that was displayed on the screen as a "1334 S Crit Scaler OR". Any ideas on what that is and how to troubleshoot it? I also get a constant warning alarm a "434 W Pwr lost with ign" warning, Again any clues?

CAT MAN

Generator model DSHAE-5861707
Ser# e070063391
Spec# B
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 03:10:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,984 Times in 7,070 Posts
Default Re: New onan fault codes?

Checked with my contact. The 1334 code comes from the first time the unit is put into service. Comes from the programing of the unit. May be a fault with the board or a programing code that did not clear. The 434 code comes from a battery voltage drop. If voltage drops below 9 volts you will get the alarm. You need two good hot batteries to keep the code from coming back. He informs me that one battery is not enough and if your unit has two they need to be in good shape. If you need to call me my number is 903-536-3202. Home most nights at around 5.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:36:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,437 Times in 769 Posts

What calibration version does the 2100 controller have in it? Is this a very new unit? Sometimes (albiet rarely) the Crit Scalar fault shows up erroneously with another fault. As Billy said, you normally only ever see it when performing an initial or update firmare calibration to the controller.

FC 434: "Indicates that "Keyswitch" to the ECM was NOT removed for 30 seconds before removing battery power to the ECM (removing connectors or battery cable.) To reset, place the )/Manual/Auto switch in the O position and press the E-Stop and wait 30 seconcs. remove E-Stop and press the Fault Reset button."

A Quote from Service Manual 961-0505C. A verrrry important process with Cummins ECM's. They like their 30 second write/save prior to losing total battery power. ALWAYS give this 30 second period prior to removing/disconnecting the batteries by using either the E-Stop, or you can go through the "Adjustments" choices, and "Key On-Off" is the last selection on that tab. Do it either way and wait the 30, then you can yank batteries.

Nothing special to do upon reconnecting batteries, except clearing the warnings/faults you get while the two controllers "learn" to talk to each other; ie, J1939 Datalink error or various CAN errors are normal at power up, and as long as you can clear them, all is good.

eric
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,984 Times in 7,070 Posts

I still like the old days. When gensets did not talk back to you.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:19:35 PM
Registered-III

I agree with Billy. I have enough equipment that have processors which "talk back", that I have to deal with at work on a regular basis. I'm glad my Onan's dont!.
Dave Edmonds
Old 12-01-2011, 01:44:52 AM
Registered-I

I found this thread when looking up an error on our GenSet (also the "434 W PWR LOST WITH IGN" code). The posts on this thread indicate that it may be an issue with the batteries/charging system (low voltage).

We can clear the faults, and they will not return until the unit is started, which would obviously put a brief heavy load on the batteries. However, the fault stays "Active" even while the unit/alternator are running. Is it safe to continue operation of the unit with this code present?

I'm also wondering why we're not getting codes 441 or 1442:

LOW BAT VOLTAGE
Lamp: Warning
Indicates battery voltage supply to the control is approaching a low level at which unpredictable operation will occur. (Refer to detailed troubleshooting procedure in this section.)

WEAK BATTERY
Lamp: Warning
Indicates that during cranking, the battery voltage is at or below the weak battery warning trip point for a time greater than or equal to the weak battery set time. See code 441 for corrective action.

Any input would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20:17 AM
Registered-III

Superman,

FC's 441 and 1442 come from the PCC 2100 controller. FC 434 comes from the engine ECM. Fault will likely stay active, until the engine ECM sees a good Key-Off/Key-On sequence.

Find a good Fluke or equal multimeter, that has the "min/max" button, and see what your spiked drop voltage is. If batteries are old, may be enough to chatter the contacts on the "Key-On" relay, feeding ignition power to the ECM.

The Key-On signal is from a key ignition switch in automotive application, but for generators that need to be ready to start at a moments notice, the Key-On relay is a normally energized relay that keeps the engine ECM awake.

Quick troubleshooting is to put a good sized battery (such as an 8D) in parallel with the starting batteries, using some good-quality jumper cables, and see if the fault doesn't reoccur at start up. Also, if you have access to a battery load tester, take that and check the batteries individually, first. Break-away torque on some of these engine starters can pull some heavy amps. I've seen older 6BT Cummins engines pull 650-700 amps break-away torque, and dead-crank the engine, once it's turning over, at 185-220 amps. The QSL9's take even more than that. Went out to one a few weeks ago, with 434 errors, and found one of the batteries bad. Genset uses two Group 34's in parallel, and one of them was bad, but the other one had enough "umphff" to start it, but not without a FC 434 logging. (BTW....that unit was logging 7.5 volts on the min/max voltage test during starting, very momentary, but enough to drop the Key-On relay for just a fraction of a second)

eric
Old 12-01-2011, 02:43:54 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,609 Posts

If you don't want to reset all that stuff, and wait for relearns, possibly you can do what we do with newer cars - put a 9 volt battery in the circuit before disconnecting starting batteries. This keeps computer memory alive.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01:01 AM
Registered-III

Power,

There is nothing to reset, normally. You can issue the Key-Off signal by simply pushing the E-Stop, then wait 30 seconds, then replace batteries, etc. The engine ECM does a "save" every time ignition voltage goes away. The PCC 2100 controller is non-volitale--nothing to save or due after battery loss. Clearing faults (if they are inactive) is simply done by pushing the reset button at the control panel.

I'm curious-- do you all do the 9V battery thing because new car computers still loose settings, or is it to avoid any potential "memory power lost" fault codes?

eric
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,609 Posts

They loose settings, which is a good thing for cars with high mileage, where sensor values have changed. We intentionally disconnect battery to force computer to relearn, improves performance and MPG. It takes about 1 hour/50 miles driving for EMC computer to relearn. On newer cars, use 9 volt so customers don't complain we lost radio station presets, clock time, power seat memory settings....
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post: