Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

External Hard Drives.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1763 times

Old 11-19-2013, 08:32:21 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,622 Times in 7,472 Posts
Default External Hard Drives.

Did a recent research trip to Winnipeg. With a couple of side kicks, we spent several days in the archives there and one chap captured a ton of material on his digital camera.
At some point, we want to download this material. I also have a batch more coming from another archive - they have loaded a ton of material on a stick for me. There will be a lot of hi-rez images, etc..
When all this stuff starts arriving, what is the best way of handling it? My old computer may be overwhelmed. I have heard about external hard drives, etc.?
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
RM
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,411 Times in 2,718 Posts
Default Re: External Hard Drives.

External USB drives are the jazz. Plug it in and the computer recognizes it as just another hard drive. No muss no fuss, no problems. You can get some big ones today and they're pretty cheap. Look up external drives and you'll be able to get a terrabyte of storage for $60-80 bucks. And that's a ton of data!

One neat thing about them is if you want to show a bunch of pictures etc., to friends at their house, you just toss it in your pocket and plug it into their computer or smart tv and away ya go.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07:34 AM
Registered

I just bought a name-brand "Seagate" from Wally for $69. It is 1 Terabyte. That is 1000 Gigabyte. They were cheaper than Staples. I only had 1 USB port on the front of my PC, so I also bought a 4-port USB splitter, so I wouldn't have to crawl behind my PC. Completely idiot-proof. Plug it in & go. Al Louck
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Illinois For This Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:47:28 AM
Registered

Get a usb that is backward compatible to run 2 which you probably already have. Many new usb drives also support usb 3 and it is as fast or faster than any system for running traditional internal or external hard drives. So I can put all the data on my usb using 2 for the current computer and later when I get a new computer I can also use usb 3 which is way easier than any internal or external hard drive. A few years ago I bought an external esata drive to avoid all these problems if my computer failed and I had to move to a new computer. Now that usb 3 is available, esata is no longer on new systems since the usb is faster and easily transportable.
The Following User Says Thank You to KenHilliard For This Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

Buy a USB hard drive, back up your entire computer. Put the hard drive in a Zip lock bag and store it somewhere. Shop, glove box in your car, or safety deposit box at the bank. Next year, retrieve your hard drive and back up the computer again.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54:50 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I agree that the USB external hard drives are a world away from the old DOS routine of going into CMOS and entering the drive characteristics then doing the partioning and formatting.

I recently bought a $20 external HDD case and stuck my extra 1TB drive in it.

It's plugged into a USB port and when I want to do a backup, I simply flip the power switch on the back of the drive and within seconds, I'm in business.

Ain't this-here teknologie wunnerful er whut?
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,622 Times in 7,472 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.