Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

TroyBilt 7 kw generator AVR Replacement Question

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1920 times

Old 08-25-2014, 02:59:31 PM
Registered

Default TroyBilt 7 kw generator AVR Replacement Question

Don't know if this should be two questions or one, as it is two parts. The total project consists of attempting to use a 7kw, 10kw surge generator as the power side for a welding generator setup.

The Welder is an old Craftsman 180 amp single phase 220 volt welder with two taps on the output side. A low and high plugin style.

Will this generator power the welder at 180 amps output for whatever the duty cycle is and if not, what sort of max amp rating and duty cycle could it be used at.

Here is the current problem that must first be solved.

The AVR is flakey. I have purchased this http://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-TM-Auto...bxgy_lg_text_y board to mount inside a box I'll build my outlets and breakers into.

Unfortunately I had to guess if this would work with this generator in regards to voltage and flux field generation at the armature. I do not know how many amps and at what voltage the field should be established at to generate 7kw power.

Will 29 amps @ 220 or so volts be sufficient to power the craftsman welder?

Is there any benefit to rectifying the output of the welder to obtain DC?

Long time follower, first time poster...

Bob.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: TroyBilt 7 kw generator AVR Replacement Question

Hi Bob.
Find the data tag on your welder and look for the input ratings. Should tell you how many amps it draws. Compare this to the output of your generator and hope the genny has more than the welder needs.
Just as a quick calculation, output of most welders is around 30 Volts. 30 V X 180 Amps comes up to about 5400 Watts. In theory, your generator should handle it OK.

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman Jr. For This Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37:02 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

just a point of order:
You have a nominal 7 kw generator.
the 10 kw surge rating is a salesmans pipe dream at best.
If you exceed the 7 kw output the magic smoke will surely come out.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:42:24 PM
Registered

Old thread but just found. Lazy evening browsing. I have a Coleman 5 kW unit and 180 buzz box. It handles the welder just barely at about 130 amp setting. I don't do this often and probably asking for trouble but not too concerned as I find these gens regularly.

The avr you post is interesting. Brushless with AVR regulation. Not seen such a generator. Only been working on gen sets a few years. Brushless I've worked on use a capacitor for regulation. No AVR. Is there a connection drawing or instructions with the reg?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03:39 PM
Registered

tinkerman2012: The avr you post is interesting. Brushless with AVR regulation. Not seen such a generator. Only been working on gen sets a few years. Brushless I've worked on use a capacitor for regulation. No AVR. Is there a connection drawing or instructions with the reg?

When I saw your reference to "brushless" I got to thinking and looking over my original post to see if I had mentioned "brushless"???

Then I checked the link to the product and sure enough it is for a brushless generator. Guess what, it works even though my generator does have brushes on the rotor.

It has been a while since I worked on this and still haven't load tested the generator since I've got to wire up an external box for everything and I've got a tube amp project on the bench now. Don't need the generator at the moment.

I did test the setup once I wired it up and it does produce the correct output voltage. I was also able to adjust it up and down according the the instructions. Makes sense but my ongoing question is, has been- will the current rating for the AVR be sufficient to keep voltage at set level, (regulation).

The wiring is a little cryptic but able to understand from various examples on the net. Basically you wire the output of the generator to the sense line and the control voltage (+-) to the brushes on the generator.

I also checked again to see if that was in fact the unit I ordered SX 460 and it was. Basically it senses the output voltage and generates a control current so again, it will only turn out to be a matter of control current being within the design criteria of the Trojan 7500 watt unit. I tried to find that info- Current demand for watts output and no luck.

For the price I figured if it didn't work no great loss. Got 2. There are several brands and they all seem to want to compete with the Cummins and other units in the $300 to $500 range.

Bob.