Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Some fun with numbers!

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 846 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37:57 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,904 Times in 845 Posts
Default Some fun with numbers!

It's been almost 25 years since I lived off grid. I decided for fun to do some very rough and crude math as to what it would take in batteries and cost to setup a small system for fun. Quick, Run for the Effing hills now!

I am no math genius and probably have royally screwed up in my calculations someplace?

I really need to find a good book that gives me the formula's and basics in setting up a solar system.

I decided to settle on using my refrigerator as a base load. Most of which seem to be rated 800 watts. My choice of batteries would be 6 volt Crown traction batteries rated 205AH. Cost $98 each. Choice of inverter is 1500 watt high frequency type.

Voltage of one battery = 6V

Rated capacity of one battery : 205 Ah = 1230 Wh

C-rate : 1 or Charge or discharge current I : 205A
Time of charge or discharge t (run-time) = 1h

This C-rate is off, but I don't have a firm grasp on this either?

Time of charge or discharge in minutes (run-time) = 60min at 205 amps.

Number of batteries in a series = 2

Number of series in parallel = 14

Total number of batteries : 28

Voltage of the storage system = 12 volts

Current of the storage system = 2870 ampere

Capacity of the storage system (energy stored) = 2870Ah = 34.44 kWh

For a 1500 watt inverter.

Load Size: 125 Amps (Watts/Volts) at 12 volts

Load Duration: 8 Hours

Battery Type: Flooded lead acid.

Battery Needed is rounded to nearest whole number, and is rated in AH at a 20 Hour rate. If your battery bank is rated atleast this many rated Amp Hours, Your Load will run for the desired amount of time at a safe 50% discharge level.

Battery Needed: 2716 AH @ 20Hrs.

Lets see, 14 12 volts batteries X2 6 volt batteries. 28 batteries in all. Cost for the batteries $2,744 dollars minus commercial freight transport and hazmat fees for transportation.

Life span of these traction batteries, 5-7 years.

Amount of solar power needed to recharge, 2000 watts at 18 volts for a 12 volt battery bank. this is a best guess???

Cost of solar can vary depending on the route taken. More research on the cost of the solar array is needed??? My Australian friends like to build their own panels using the individual solar cells. Might be a cheaper approach. Might not be worth the trouble. I haven't decided yet?

Just the cost of the batteries to setup a proper small system is quite an eye opener really.

Makes me wonder why folks choose to go off grid when it's cheaper to just pay the Po-Co every month?

Robert