Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Onan DJE Spare Parts

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2168 times

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21:52 PM
Registered

Default Onan DJE Spare Parts

I'm just wondering what you experienced guys would recommend for keeping around for spare parts for a 6.0 DJE. Mine was produced at the end of the DJ production cycle around 1996 I think, so it has the AVR instead of the Magneciter.

These are the spare parts that I've thought of so far:

Glow plugs
Manifold heater
Plenty of oil and fuel filters
Spare AVR board
Diodes (the ones in the gen head)

Is there anything else that is likely to fail and should be kept as a spare. I know that I could keep an entire spare DJE, but I'd rather not go that far. I do have a few different gas generators that I could use as backup while I fix my DJE, but I want the spare parts handy to keep my DJE running in the event of an emergency.

I know this may seem nutty to some, but I also wonder what components would be most vulnerable to an electromagnetic pulse from a solar flare or EMP attack. I don't expect that to happen, but if I'm collecting some spare parts, then I might as well think about it as well. That's why I ordered an extra Flight Systems AVR board to be properly stored to protect it from any electromagnetic pulse. Of course, if the generator windings are fried, then it's all a mute point! The US and Russia did plenty of testing in the past to prove that the consequences are very real. Some documentation I read about EMP testing in Kazakhstan in 1962 stated that the insulation of windings in generators were damaged. Here's a quote from a report of that Russian test done in '62.

[BEGIN] It was Test 184 that caused most of the problems with the civilian infrastructure in Kazakhstan. Other tests, though, apparently caused some problems -- such as those experienced with military diesel generators. The diesel generator problems usually occurred some time after the detonations due to dielectric breakdown in the generator windings. Loborev said, "The matter of this phenomenon is that the electrical puncture occurs at the weak point of a system. Next, the heat puncture is developed at that point, under the action of the power voltage; as a result, the electrical power source is put out of action very often." [END]

Like I said, if the windings are damaged, then it's probably all a mute point. Again, I don't expect anything like this to happen in my lifetime, but I tend to try to think ahead and prepare for the future as much as reasonably possible.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

For reference, in case anyone wanted to see the article from where that quote came from, here's the full article.

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/test184.html
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31:59 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: DJE Spare Parts

For spare parts to keep on hand during an emergency I would skip the glow plugs and grid heaters, unless you are in an extremely cold climate as they are starting aids, but are not required to start, you can always use a propane torch, hair dryer/heat gun on the intake as an emergency alternative (the last ones assuming you have a spare generator).

I would not worry about EMP on a non running generator that is not connected to a large wiring system. (with ground/ neutral only connected you should be very safe) I doubt the VR-21 voltage regualtor or the control board is very susceptable to EMP either since neither one has any integrated circuits. It is all basic electronic components and relay logic. Having said that a spare voltage regulagtor might be a good idea, maybe even a spare control board, but this could be bypassed in emergency.

One thing I did not see on your list which is a fairly common failure item is an oil pressure safety switch.

Ike
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,074 Posts

Add a couple of air filters and a starter to your list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,614 Times in 1,677 Posts

a guy by the name of faraday came up with a way to protect electronics from an EMP go to www.faraday cage.com hey who knows anything is possible. got to be ready. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great ideas! The starter is a really big one. Not being able to crank the engine over would be a big one! All the suggestions were good ones.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,565 Posts

What? You have only one DJE? THAT's your problem. Get a spare genset. Only those of us with multiple Diesel gensets will be able to survive a zombie apocalypse

Failing that, yes, a starter would top my list, followed by a voltage regulator, Injection pump, and injectors. (But I was only half joking above, because the cost of these components will probably exceed what a careful shopper could spend on a 2nd DJE set...)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24:55 PM
Registered

Yes, I was thinking about injectors and injector pump, but when I did a little research on pricing, it scared me away for those quick! I agree, one could find a complete DJE genset for less than the price of new Onan injectors and injector pump.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:01:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Onan DJE Spare Parts

I have been researching more on the spare parts for my 6DJE.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for the control board for my generator: 6.0 DJE 18R 18832 AG ?

I believe my generator might have been manufactured in 1996.

Also, did my 6DJE come from the factory with a Prestolite or Mitsubishi starter?

I can't tell by looking at it because the starter label is cover over with Onan green paint.

]PS. I've got the AVR board covered already, but I'm wondering about which control board I have. I tried to look it up in the Parts manual, but it was confusing and I wasn't sure which control board my genset actually has.

I just went out to the shop (almost 2AM) and took another look at the starter. I was able to scrape the paint off the starter and found that it is the Mitsubishi starter. Just wanted to mention that so no one spends any time looking that up.

Still curious if anyone knows the Onan part number for the control board for my newer 6DJE?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,565 Posts

Control board? My J series sets have no control boards - just a box o' relays...
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43:15 PM
Registered

Thanks Jim. That's what I was thinking about mine, but I wasn't 100% sure so that's why I was asking. I didn't think there was any circuit board in there other than the AVR board. Glad that there isn't.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

In case anyone else is interested, I found a good deal on an OEM Onan starter on Fleabay. Bryan at cunningham_nw (eBay ID) was great to deal with. He adjusted shipping price and sold it to me for LESS THAN $100 shipped to my door. The best price I could find anywhere else was close to $200. He has one left. If interested, search Fleabay for: Onan 191-1399 .

Also, I found a Onan oil pressure switch on Fleabay from mikes_garage_sale (eBay ID) for $20 shipped to my door. He took my Best Offer. He has a lot of them. If interested, search eBay for: Onan 309-0561-01 .

Hope this helps someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to keyturbocars For This Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38:12 PM
Registered

I see that someone else scored that other new Onan starter. Glad they did. When I looked up pricing for an OEM Onan starter, I found a place that had it for $1200+! Absurd! Next best thing I found was an aftermarket starter (probably made in China) for around $200. Hard to beat an original Onan starter for around $100! The way Onan prices their parts, they sure look like they are trying to force people to buy another generator (one of theirs, they hope). When I was looking for a new AVR board a couple years ago, Onan wanted over $1800. Thankfully, Flight Systems got me fixed up for around $200. Really need to search around to find a reasonable price on parts for these older Onan gensets.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59:10 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,665 Posts

Having spent a good part of my career as a nuclear weapons effect engineer, The mention of Nuclear EMP concerns perked up my interest. The EMP pulse from a high altitude burst is different from lightning in that it contains more energy in the high frequency spectrum and propagates over a very wide area as opposed to lightning.

However, the high frequency components of the pulse are greatly attenuated by land lines, switchboards,, etc. It still is a threat and in general, steps to protect against normal relatively low frequency transients like lightning would provide sufficient protection to, for example generators. EMP would trip HV power lines because the high voltages induced on transmission lines would cause insulator flashover and thus power interruptions in many cases, to mention just one concern. Major power lines utilize 20 cycle reclosing , I.e., circuit breaker trip in 3 cycles and 17 cycles to reclose. The EMP concern, however are still a concern because it is necessary to make sure all interface circuits emanating from shielded control circuits are adequately protected.

Bottom line, if you provide lightning protection to your generator, ala transorbs, you will be ok assuming the utility can still provide fuel to,your generator. Sorry to vent./Leon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the helpful insights Leon. The way I have my DJE set up, it's not connected to wiring normally. I have a inlet box mounted in my shop wired to my shop panel where I have a UL listed inter-lock kit. There is an inlet box near the generator where I use a short cable with a L14-30R twist-lock end to plug into inlet box when I want to run the generator. In this way, the generator is not hooked up to any wiring in most cases, so I don't have to worry about any voltage spikes (or induced spikes) coming through my shop wiring to the genset.

I do have redunant surge protection on my electrical panels, since I've read too much about lightning damage. The last thing I need is for a voltage spike to take out my well pump or other expensive electrical appliances or equipment. With dual surge suppressors, if one gets taken out, there is another online in the event of a subsequent spike. The way I think, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So, my concern is not so much from voltage spikes coming from the grid, since my genset is physically disconnected most the time, and when connected to my shop wiring, I have the surge suppressors in place to protect my genset and other electrical devices hooked up to my wiring. Of course, when I'm running with the generator, I'm also physically disconnected from the grid, but I even think about how all that extensive wiring running in my large shop could act as an "antennae" and allow a spike to be induced from an electromagnetic pulse from solar flare or nuclear EMP. Even with the isolation I have for my genset from the grid and even my shop wiring, I am still concerned about the possibility that sensitive solid state components like diodes or the components on the AVR circuit board getting zapped. That's why I have purchased spares to store safely away.

I know that there is no way to prepare for every event in life, and I'm not worried. I just like thinking ahead as much as possible. Personally, I know that God is really in control. At the same time, I believe I'm supposed to be responsible because I have 9 other people depending on me (wife & 8 children), and I believe that loving them requires that I look out for their best interests - even if there is only a small chance. Where I live, if I have no power, then I have no water (well), and so that's a must. Without water, there's no toilets flushing and that could get bad real fast with 10 people in the house! Of course, water is so essential to so many other things life. Anyway, like I mentioned, I'm not worried. I just like to try to think ahead and be responsible, because I can't afford to be irresponsible with 10 people under the same roof!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,665 Posts

Keyturbocars, I fully understand your concerns and responsibilities and I admire your thoughts. Just a couple of additional thoughts to ponder.

The Onan AVR board contains electronics, semiconductors which are sensitive to transients. If the AVR board is powered from, i.e., hard-wired to the 12 volt starting battery keep in mind that the 12 volt lead acid battery is an excellent transient suppression device. Just make sure the battery leads to the AVR are relatively short so as to lessen any EMP pickup should it occur.

The second point is that transient protection devices like transorbs when activated conduct transients to ground. This may result under some situations cause the circuit breaker to trip. That is why I installed two 35 amp cartridge fuses on the generator side of the transorbs just in case so that as they say no magic smoke occurs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31:40 PM
Registered

Great points, Leon.

Thanks,

Ed