Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Starting Stover

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1281 times

Old 06-02-2000, 06:53:39 AM
RobertSsmales

Default Starting Stover

I had good luck starting an I H M with my tractor. When I tried this with a Stover 2 HP, it fired without missing (hit and miss) and broke the push rod/rocker arm support next to its mounting hole on the valve side. Did I have the adjustment too tight or an improper spring (homemade) on the governer to control latching or shouldn't I have belted a hit and miss to a tractor, or. or? ANY help most appreciated. THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2000, 10:52:26 AM
Norm

Default Re: Starting Stover

Robert,

I don't think that starting it hooked to a tractor would harm the engine unless you tried to spin it very fast. I believe that you have something wrong with your govenor which caused the engine to "run away", i.e. keep firing and not 'miss' to maintain speed. Check your govenor, linkage, etc. to make sure it is all working properly. If the gov. is adjustable adjust it way down so the weights can come out real fast and keep the engine at a slow speed.

Good luck!

Norm
Old 06-02-2000, 01:30:44 PM
Bruce

For starters no you shouldnt belt a small engine like that to a tractor unless you want broken parts. These old hit and miss engines should start by just flipping the flywheels over a couple times. If it dosnt then stop and look it over and figure out why. Good luck Bruce
Old 06-02-2000, 01:54:03 PM
Norm

Bruce,

I have to disagree with you here! If done properly and carefully, there is nothing wrong with belting an engine to a tractor pulley to get it started, particularly if you've flooded it (or left the oiler on and put lots of oil in the cylinder!). Although I haven't used a tractor, I have used an electric motor with a V-belt around the flywheel to spin one over. As with most things, you just need to be careful and spin the engine slowly.
Old 06-02-2000, 09:56:25 PM
Tom Jr.

Robert: I think the valve was adj. too tight. It colapses the valve spring then stress builds up. I broke the roller folower at the cam from this.The new valve was longer than the old one,and I started it without checking everything first.
Old 06-03-2000, 08:46:33 AM
Russell Gilbert

Robert I think the main thing here is to always test the modifications and general setting up of your engine befor you try the real thing. I dont confess to be any great sort of machanic but when I completed my 2hp KA Stover I must have double,...triple checked everything by winding the engine over by hand without the spark plug in to make sure all seemed well first. Once I was confident all was well, then I ran the engine. I have been told by many seasoned engine restorers that pateints is the name of the game. Good luck with your Stover, Russell