Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques and toys for the Home > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Meccano - Some of my recent models

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 2667 times

Old 09-03-2013, 02:04:19 PM
Registered

Photo Meccano - Some of my recent models

Hi Folks!

I enjoy reading this forum but can only contribute now and again when I use a steam engine to power a model or if I am refurbishing an engine as I did in this thread:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113880

Recently I have been building some small models using various steam engines and thought you might like to see them.

First up is a 1929 Meccano vertical boiler running a Meccano-built saw bench.

The engine is one of the later 1929 engines (embossed MECCANO in the outer jacket). It is running a saw bench built fro pre-war Meccano that incorporates agenuine Meccano sawblade of the same period. I admit the bolts are post war! It even makes use of the early 56/20t combination of gear/pinion that gives a totally useless 2.8:1 reduction. Later Meccano amended the ratio to give 3:1 by using 57/19 combination.

Next up is a much later engine (the subject of the restoration mentioned above) driving a small Ferris wheel.

A large gear reduction starting with a 19:1 worm and pinion combination gets things going. This is followed by a 2:1 and final reduction is 4:1 making a total reduction of 152:1 which turned out to be just about right. There is a video of it running on air HERE

And here is the last one for now. A steam powered drill-press. I know it is silly but it is just a bit of fun.

This is a Mamod SP3 engine. The sticker on this side reads Meccano and Mamod on the other!

There are lots of models on our website, steam and others. You can go to the main site HERE or go to our blog HERE and enter 'Steam' in the search box to see what else we have built.

Ralph.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishplate42 For This Post:
Sponsored Links