Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Wico EK mag question

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2762 times

Old 08-02-2014, 09:13:18 PM
Registered

Default Wico EK mag question

Just finished the '24 Witte 3hp build. Magneto was last thing. I stripped it, refinished everything and reassembled. Never adjusted the upper point, as it ran fine before the teardown.
The armature doesn't "snap", it just closes. Spring is fine and lower point slides easily in it's guide. Magnets are very strong. Will powdercoat on top of the armature laminates make it not fire? Cause I am getting no fire at all. I adjusted the points to where they wer just starting to open when there was 3/32" clearennce between the armature and the magneto cores. Any one care to help a fella out here and tell me what I did wrong?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2014, 10:25:44 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wico EK mag question

You need 100% steel to steel contact between the armiture and the poles to have the full magnetic strength .
Old 08-03-2014, 11:38:13 AM
Subscriber

what Mitch said and does armature move freely on guide pin, meet and leave laminations simultaneously ? If you had the armature off which is sound like you did you will probably also need to recharge the magnets. This is all assuming mag electrical parts are good and installed correctly.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44:05 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wico EK mag question

I believe points need to open at 3/32 opening of armature. Poles should break evenly. Ground tab (copper tab riveted to cover)on cover needs to be clean and make good contact with button on mag coil. Power connection spring, under lead out tower should make good contact with button on mag coil. there should be a spring that connects the 2 coils together, against 2 pins, mounted on coils. if this is missing, no spark. make sure all the isolation washers are place correctly on the point tower, and be sure the condenser wiring is correctly mounted. If the mag has a kill switch button on the case cover, make sure it is not shorting the points tower. A weak spring or bent cover will short out the points - no spark! one secondary wire goes to points, the other to ground. make sure the lead to the points tower is insulated and is not shorting to the case. Same for one lead off the condenser.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-16-2014, 07:56:20 PM
Registered

Ok, I spent the last 2 Saturdays messing with the mag. My mag is the Type 1, the manual says Type 1 gap is 1/16 and the type II and III is 3/32". The instructions I found on a website that has to do with EK mags and such, the directions weren't real clear, but I got it figured out. I removed the magneto off the engine. Set it on the bench and removed the 2 covers and re-installed the band. I removed the armature and removed the powder coat from the upper surfaces so it was steel to steel with the cores. I inserted a couple of 1/16" feeler gauges between each side of the armature and the 2 cores, then removed the bottom point, jacked around with adjusting it for about an hour or two until I got the desired "just beginning to break" with the 1/16 feeler gauges between the armature and core legs. I used a ohm meter to check it. ALWAYS REMOVE THE CONDENSER WIRE from ground when checking this. I disassembled the entire upper point as I got continuity regardless of where the points were !!! The upper point had all the insulators in place, so I reassembled it. What was making it not snap was some powder in the bore of the armature. I ran a .377 reamer thru it and it snaps fine now and the poles are evenly spaced . No metal came out of the bore so that gives it .002" clearance. So I reinstalled the mag and got a fair (pink) spark. Then I got a straight edge and layed it across the top of the hopper, turned the flywheel over in the direction of travel slowly and stopped the exact moment that the spark plug sparked . The timing was 6" of the flywheel advanced, so I adjusted the pushrod 5 or 6 times. I have the spark occuring at exactly when the straight edge is pointing to "Ignition" on the flywheel. So that is well. I turned the flywheel over 5 or 6 times to verify and every time the plug sparked, I looked at the straight edge and it was in the same spot every time, touching the word IGNITION stamped on the flywheel.
So all that is left now is to check the exhaust timing. The Owner's manual says
Exhaust Valve:
The exhaust valve is opened by a rocker arm operated from a cam on the timing gear. This valve opens at approximately 35 degrees from the end of the power stroke, and closes when crank is about 5 degrees above inner center on exhaust stroke. The flywheel rim is marked for these points and a stick laid across the hopper surface points to the timing marks at the appropriate event.

I see the "Exhaust" marking on the flywheel, but not anything about 5º. Am I right when assuming that when the instructions say "This valve opens at approximately 35 degrees" it means that the exhaust valve pusher on the rocker arm is just starting to make contact with the tip of the exhaust valve, and at this event, the straightedge will be pointing to the flywheel stamp "Exhaust"?

Andrew, ya lost me when ya started talking about 2 coils. This Wico EK only has one, on the side of the mag closest to the head just behind the spark plug tower. Before I tore the motor down, it ran fine and started fairly easy. I see on inside of the right side of the band, that there is a copper tab, couldn't figure out why it was there, as there is nothing there for the tab to touch ???Is it supposed to have 2 coils?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17:05 AM
Sponsor

I have never seen an EK with one coil, however, I have heard of such a thing. Any pictures?

John

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

All the EK's I have seen have 2 coils. The solder botton on one will contact the spring on the leadout tower and the other will contact the leaf spring on the other side for the ground. The cover strap can be reversed depending which way you want the plug wire to go. I am wondering how a single coil mag is wired.

John
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08:55 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

[/COLOR]Factory built EKs have 2 coils. I have heard of a gent who made single coil replacements for the EK, but have not seen one personally. it would have to be mounted on the lead out side, and be grounded in some way, as there would be no wat to contact the ground strap. you might get spark out of a single EK coil, but it would be weak, and again, it would have to be grounded in some manner to get spark.
Andrew
Old 09-05-2014, 03:28:26 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like you need a set of coils , interesting in that it ran on one