Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Broken cylinder from Hilti electric hammer

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1569 times

Old 11-15-2014, 10:55:35 PM
Registered

Default Broken cylinder from Hilti electric hammer

Looking for suggestions from the welding pros regarding this broken cylinder out of a Hilti TE 60 electric hammer. Parts are no longer available. It's hollow about 1 1/4 inch dia. Wall thickness at the break is about 1/4 inch. My thoughts are to machine a shaft to slide inside for support and alignment, V the joint and have it welded. I have a stick welder but I think taking it to a professional welder and have it either MIG or TIG would be better. The cylinder would lose it's temper but it's not super hard anyway. I have a friend, tool and die maker, who could re-temper after welding.

I figure not much lost since the tool is a write off if the cylinder can't be repaired.

Appreciate all thoughts and input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TE 60 Cylinder IMG_0702.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	210915  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01:04 AM
Registered

Default Re: Broken cylinder from Hilti electric hammer

cannot see if there is a hole up the middle from the photo its close to the hole going in the side.
If its high carbon steel your going to have to preheat it and weld it with 4816 or like. you could be a small sleeve on the inner to hold alignment for welding it just would become a backing strip for the weld. A press fit for the parts would be recomended.
AS its a electric drill not pnuematic or explosive powered whats the worst that can happen? it doesn't work and fails again.
If your handy with a lathe just make a new billet one out of a bit of En26 which is already hardened its super tough stuff may be just as quick as going the welding route and get better results.
It appears to have failed on the circlip groove common as its a stress raiser in the corner, just put a tiny radi in the new one in that spot to stop the tendency to crack.
i would lean to making a new one over a repair of old from my experience......
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 02:57:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: Broken cylinder from Hilti electric hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Geddes. View Post
cannot see if there is a hole up the middle from the photo its close to the hole going in the side.
If its high carbon steel your going to have to preheat it and weld it with 4816 or like. you could be a small sleeve on the inner to hold alignment for welding it just would become a backing strip for the weld. A press fit for the parts would be recomended.
AS its a electric drill not pnuematic or explosive powered whats the worst that can happen? it doesn't work and fails again.
If your handy with a lathe just make a new billet one out of a bit of En26 which is already hardened its super tough stuff may be just as quick as going the welding route and get better results.
It appears to have failed on the circlip groove common as its a stress raiser in the corner, just put a tiny radi in the new one in that spot to stop the tendency to crack.
i would lean to making a new one over a repair of old from my experience......
Thanks for your reply. I agree the best option is to build a new part but that intails a lot of time. More than the machine is worth even at my rates. lol

You are correct it failed at the circlip groove, a weakness in design. Not so bad if the user of the machine is aware that sideways torque puts a lot of stress on that part. A more shallow groove would help. The hole you see at the bearing race is to accomodate a dowel which keeps a piston guide in place within the cylinder. There are two different diameters inside the cylinder with a taper just where the break occurred. So any weld metal there will have to be removed. It should be easy to build a shaft to provide support when welding. If the support shaft is affected by the welding it can easily be drilled out. The most difficult task will be to restore the taper.

Curious is the En26 already hardened? That would make it difficult to machine. Not that I expect to go down that route as I noted above.