Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Trading for a Farmall F-12

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1602 times

Old 01-19-2015, 11:49:41 PM
Registered

Default Trading for a Farmall F-12

Just got a call from a rather nice guy online, says he has a farmall F-12 on full steel, and a single bottom plow for it. The kicker is that the tractor has a hairline crack running over the water jacket and possibly even managed to leak into the oil in the pan. The tractor runs well enough but I just wanted a second opinion.

We were talking about trading his F-12 for my Farmall A which has a lift-all system, and 14" single bottom.

I love the look of the old F models but I have a feeling I might have to tear the block down on the f-12 (not a big deal) but I'm not positive If it seems like a fair deal. Photos of both are below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2 (7).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	216405   Click image for larger version

Name:	141018_498.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	216406  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,456 Times in 416 Posts
Default Re: Trading for a Farmall F-12

the f12 looks like a nice tractor. my opinion would be to keep what you got. you can do more with the A and more reliable i would imagine. i had several F series tractors in the past, and a hand full of A & super A's. your A looks like an original tractor, which would be more collectabe than a tractor that has been restored. just my opinion. good with any of the tractors. sometimes,actually, most of the time, when i start repairing old farm equipt or old vehicles, i always end up finding more problems than i expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firewoodguy For This Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 09:35:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,378 Times in 549 Posts

The hairline crack has indicated that its been frozen at 1 time. Sometimes the block splits in between the cyl. from freezing. You can't tell from the outside but if theres water in the oil that may have happened. The sleeve seals can also leak and let water into the oil too. Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Charles For This Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 09:48:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Charles View Post
The hairline crack has indicated that its been frozen at 1 time. Sometimes the block splits in between the cyl. from freezing. You can't tell from the outside but if theres water in the oil that may have happened. The sleeve seals can also leak and let water into the oil too. Rob
Is there anyway to fix a block without removing it? Braze, JB weld. I've done both, my F-20 being one of them and they still work fine. But if for some reason if the crack is not the water jacket the compression of the engine running might work against me. Any advice? Or will I have to hunt down another block?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21:13 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Question Re: Trading for a Farmall F-12

Depends if the split caused displacement internally. Blogk sealer may work, but no guarantee. If the jug mount is split, the seal may never hold unless the cylinder is pulled and the metal repaired. depending on what gave when the block split, you may have cam guide bearing, and or crankshaft bearing alignment problems as well. In short, you may have to replace the block. In any case, oil in the water does not mean good things for the engine, especially if it has been run since the break. How much is a replacement engine, and is it worth all the work transferring all the parts?