Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kholer 3.5 cm 21I'm living off grid and I need help diagnosing

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1023 times

Old 07-15-2015, 07:19:37 PM
Registered

Default Kholer 3.5 cm 21I'm living off grid and I need help diagnosing

I believe I have blown the AVR I'm living off grid and need this generator could you help me diagnose it and then could you help me replace it with a modern AVR unless I can find the old parts cheap enough I live in an earth contact house and the walls were turning green we need to get some dehumidification in here I would appreciate your help thank you I know how to test a two-pole generator but this is a 4 poll1800 rpm generator hundred fifteen volts. from a 1972 Motorhome it worked fine until I think I crossed its polarity somewhere else on the grid. I have to fault finding manuals but I'm not really a book learner until I have a basic understanding could use the help thank you one more question that 3.5 should use how much fuel at about 50 percent
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2015, 10:32:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,993 Posts
Default Re: Kholer 3.5 cm 21I'm living off grid and I need help diagnosing

I would ohm out f2 and f1 and see if you have a shorted rotor first.. do you have a breaker? and did it trip when you crossed the wires?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,707 Times in 2,415 Posts

My Kohler documentation (TP5014) shows the 3.5CM21 to be a single cylinder K181 engine running at 3600RPM driving a two pole generator. 3500 watts 120 volts only, 29 amps with a 30 amp circuit breaker.

Fuel consumption:
Full load 0.75GPH
50% load 0.46GPH
25% load 0.35GPH
Old 07-18-2015, 09:11:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
I would ohm out f2 and f1 and see if you have a shorted rotor first.. do you have a breaker? and did it trip when you crossed the wires?
good question were you referring to a breaker that would be on the generator itself to protect it it seems to me like I've heard of that for example when you put on a new style a VR you need to be sure and protect it with a fusible link or breaker is this correct ? hopefully I just blew a link I do have a round item that's not quite as big around the cardboard part a roll of toilet paper and about 4 inches long connected at each end with one single bolt then I have 2 boxes that look like typical voltage regulator boxes and I will have to look to see what else it has I would like to be able to identify these parts thank you very much. I did something a while back but did not hurt the generator I had the positive and the negative battery cables crossed and I don't remember but one of the two things happened either it failed to produce 12 volts to charge the battery or it failed to produce juice but when I switch to them to the correct position whatever went wrong was fine can you tell me if that means that this is an internally excited or externally excited or magnetic or whatever these are things I have a very little knowledge like for example a new generator are they typically excited one way the small ones like a 3500 or a 5000thanks again I'll make that test and get back to you I did check it it is in 1800 rpm 4 poleI know how to check a modern 2-pole generator hope your ears not sore thank you goodbye ok