Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

this thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 42714 times

Old 10-24-2007, 10:38:41 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

There are TONS of "newer" oilfield engines out in the Oilfield. Here is a picutre of an Arrow L795 in Fairview, Montana. This is a 2 cyl 2 cycle engine. The guy on the right is the owner, I'm the guy on the right. Who else has pictures of Newer oilfield engines that are out working for a living?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzzzz.jpg
Views:	2189
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24940  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

Here's a "Cooper Penjax", pumping salt water deep into the ground. You can stand right next to it and hardly hear it run:Attachment 24960

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	24962O
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	24963  
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34:06 PM
Registered

Another picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	24964  
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Waggonner View Post
There are TONS of "newer" oilfield engines out in the Oilfield. Here is a picutre of an Arrow L795 in Fairview, Montana. This is a 2 cyl 2 cycle engine. The guy on the right is the owner, I'm the guy on the right. Who else has pictures of Newer oilfield engines that are out working for a living?
Doug the smaller engine, is that to start the bigger engine or just to build air for a tank for starting
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17:49 AM
Registered

Hi BD

The little gas engine on the ground is the starter. There is a hard rubber wheel that raises up and come into contact with the engines flywheel. You "engage" the starter by stepping on a pedal that raises the rubber wheel. Electric starters are standard on these engines....BUT....way up north there when its -40 below 12V just isnt enuf to crank them over.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33:19 AM
Registered

Here is an Arrow K6 "6hp" engine. Its on a well in Southern Oklahoma. I know it LOOKS like an oilwell.... ..but its acutally a coal bed methane gas well. Its pumping water off to relieve the pressure so the coal will release the natural gas.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40:18 AM
Registered

Well...I can't get the picture to load?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:15:13 AM
Registered

trying the pics again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Enterprise, OK 025.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	25007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enterprise, OK 031.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	25008  
Old 10-26-2007, 11:55:55 AM
Registered

Here is an Ajax 8 1\2 X 10 model EA-42 "42 hp" located near Silby, La.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Silby, La (1).jpg
Views:	956
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	25016  
Old 10-26-2007, 12:00:49 PM
Registered

This is an Arrow C-46 also near Silby, La. This engine looks like they havent ran it in a few years
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Silby, La (19).jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	25018  
Old 10-26-2007, 07:28:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Geyer View Post
Here's a "Cooper Penjax", pumping salt water deep into the ground. You can stand right next to it and hardly hear it run:Attachment 24960

Attachment 24962O
Bill, I hope there isnt any liquids in that compressor, or someone at Universal is not gonna be happy
Old 10-26-2007, 09:38:53 PM
Registered

In the 1st picture we have here is a 118 Fairbanks Morse on an oil well in Astabula County, Ohio. It had been working that well for many years, But it was time for retirement for this engine and the owner wanted to up grade to an Arrow K6 engine, seen in the 2nd picture The owner of the oil well really liked the electric start! If ya'll cant tel I'm kind of fond of that little K6 Engine......and some of you know why!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K6Mansfield 236.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	25048   Click image for larger version

Name:	K6Mansfield 238888.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25049  
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59:07 PM
Registered

Hello Chris, I believe they are pumping waste/salt water (liquid) into the ground with that Penjax compressor, figured it might equipped with ceramic cylinder and who knows what else. If I stepped in it let me know what you think.

Hey Doug, what engine is that K6 based on, I know there was some discussion a while back but can't find it. Been putting an old GMC pick-up radiator on my AJAX, will put some pictures on my old thread one day.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16:36 AM
Subscriber

Must be for Continental ( Harry Hamm) huh. How did I know
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30:49 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

Bill,
The K6 engine operates at 400 - 800 RPM

And I'd almost bet that "PenJax" Ajax compressor is a Natural Gas compressor.......but I could be wrong. Usually salt water pumps are brands like "Gaso" or "Wheatley" ect.

George,
If you talking about the engines in Fairview, Mt. I'm not sure who the end user is But the other guy in the picture is Mike from Williston, ND.

I've got thousands of other "Newer" Oilfield engine pictures....... .....But I want to see yours. Does Anyone have any pictures of a Witte "Oilwell" engine still out there working for a living?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:31:39 PM
Registered

re; salt water pump Don't know a lot about how they do everything. At the site where I took the picture of the Penjax there are two big tanks 20,000 gal? each, salt water trucks come in about every 20 minutes and dump their load. The Penjax is the only engine at the site. Could the saltwater pump be down in the ground? See the glass window on the Penjax, are the gas compressors equipped with that, I thought it might be there to check for leakage of polished rod if pumping liquid? Me and ole Jack sit around and speculate on things like this, we thought the compressor end might be equipped with a special smaller cylinder for liquid duty.
OR is it a gas well and compressor, and the truck is hauling away salt water? A coupe of weeks ago on the next county road a saltwater truck connected his hose and Kaboooom must have been static electricity. No one was hurt except the truck, a pickup and a Cat, they were a total loss. Would like to see more pictures. Used to have a picture of a small Gemeni compressor on line about 5 miles from here, looked like a little Penjax. Can't find the picture and the compressor is gone too.

Thanks,

Last edited by Bill Geyer; 10-29-2007 at 06:36:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42:10 PM
Registered

Here is the compressor end of a Waukesha 6 cylinder. Sorry about the camera angle. The man started it for me using the air starter on compressed natural gas Came back a few months later with a camera and it was enclosed with a fence and I couldn't get a shot of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wauk2.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	25112  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Hello Chris, I believe they are pumping waste/salt water (liquid) into the ground with that Penjax compressor, figured it might equipped with ceramic cylinder and who knows what else. If I stepped in it let me know what you think.

Hey Doug, what engine is that K6 based on, I know there was some discussion a while back but can't find it. Been putting an old GMC pick-up radiator on my AJAX, will put some pictures on my old thread one day.

That engine is a natural gas conversion of an Indian Pertteroid......

That much said those in the know don't give the slightest hint of what it started as but if I had to guess I would say its a very close to the Korilskar DM10 ( 102-116mm bore stroke since this is the most common Petteroid for pumping and general service ). There are larger varients of the same engine in diesel, a 114, 120, and 125mm bore and 120, 125 mm stroke. The Arrow version uses tapper roller bearings but keeps the gear oil pump ( but you can get a babbit bearing version and you can get a version that uses a piston pump for oiling ) . Oil filtration is bypass with a remote because the Indian filter although looks close to a Petter PH1 filter is shorter and I haven't been able to cross reference it to an Donaldson ( some Idian casting offer a spin on full flow system, not sure why Arrow didn't buy this casting ). I don't know what sort of modifications were made internaly other than replaceing the injector with a plug but the Indian Petteroid DI piston has a lot of meat in the crown so I suspect it could have been machined a lot to reduce the compression ( in diesel this is 17:1 ) and make something better suited to gas. The starter is an Indian clone of a Lucas, but the water pump no idea. Fly wheel apears to be the 62 kg heavy with an outout shaft adaptor ( that hides a Gib head key ). Depending on the gear set these engines can have an 1/2 speed PTO off the cam gear and the output shaft for the cam PTO/start handle is the same as the flywheel nd available in a long or short version. Some Petteroids have the front of the crank exposed to drive an accesory pully, others use the 1/2 PTO ( with the HD steel cam gear set ) for this.

Very robust little engine, probably weighs in around 400 pounds in that form pictured ( without rad and frame )

Here is a close up view of the Indian version in diesel as sold by Lovson. This is not the same thing as an Arrow, a lot of these Indian engines have quality control problems. I suspect the Arrow is built from at least some Indian parts
but no one at Arrow will tell you anything about the engines.
http://www.lovson.com/peter-type-sh-series-engines.html

Douglas
Old 10-29-2007, 10:47:53 PM
T. Anderson

Quote:

This appears to be a production site. Probably a well producing both gas and some salt water. Compressor is to boost produced gas to higher pressure to introduce into a transfer line or main line. Should be a "Christmas tree" or well head nearby with lines running to the compressor. Also bet that the trucks you see hauling salt water are loading at the tanks and transporting it somewhere else instead of bringing it in.
Need a picture of the complete location to tell.

Compressor may also be a collection site to collect produced gas from several other well heads nearby and then pressure into transmission lines.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12:38 AM
Registered

Well, I work at Arrow . Its no secret that there are parts on the K6 that come from India. But, with that said its not simply a gasified Petter engine.