Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

What is a Suitable Replacement for a John Deere M Starter and Generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 645 times

Old 07-04-2018, 01:06:42 PM
Registered

Default What is a Suitable Replacement for a John Deere M Starter and Generator

I recently started working on my John Deere M I purchased earlier this year and I'm conveting it over to 12 volt ignition system over the original 6 volt. Just a personal preference.

What I was wondering is what is a suitable starter and generator to replace the originals with? I prefer Delco products. The ones on it now would need to be rebuilt and I'm just not willing to spend the money to do it. And the rest of the system I've already upgraded.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 02:12:28 PM

Thanked 20,684 Times in 5,985 Posts
Default Re: What is a Suitable Replacement for a John Deere M Starter and Generator

You don't need a 12V starter.
I've had a 12V battery on my John Deere L as long as I've had it.
I have the rest of the electrics for it but never did and never will install them.
I charge the battery once a season as it lasts forever with the magneto ignition and fast starts.
As for the generator you'll likely have better luck buying a cheap, single wire, alternator if you don't mind the modern look.
That would be the cheapest way to go.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:21:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default Re: What is a Suitable Replacement for a John Deere M Starter and Generator

I see 12 volt dc generators on fleabay all of the time. I'd find one that fits without too much trouble, and find a suitable mechanical regulator to go with it.

I'm in favor of original, or period correct modifications. IMHO, modern stuff has no place on vintage equipment. Otherwise where does it end? Electronic this and that? A modern fuel injected engine?? A brand new tractor? Lol. Same with cars. New stuff is for new cars.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:08:33 PM
Subscriber

Powermaster is a company that makes alternators that look like a generator. They are pricey, but you can have correct looks with modern technology. Check out their website, powermasters.com, just have to find one they make that will work. Jim
Old 07-04-2018, 10:37:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

I have a G Minnie with LP Heads. Hard to turn over. I don't know if it was 12 volt or not but it is now.

The best generator I had happened to be a 6 volt one so I used a Diode for a cutout and the resistor in the light switch to control the field. Charges the 12 volt battery Just Fine...