Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Sears radial arm saw motor

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2964 times

Old 01-07-2005, 11:19:52 PM
Registered

Default Sears radial arm saw motor

Does anyone know how to rewind the starting coils for a sears radial arm saw??? My dad started the project and died in june and now i have 1 coil in and not the other, and I can't find a motor rewind shop that is interested in fixing this. Can any of you sparkers help????? Marty
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2005, 09:53:17 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Sears radial arm saw motor

The starting coils will be a smaller gauge wire and offset between the other running coils. But you would need the number of turns and the specific gauge of wire etc to be able to replicate the original. My old saw is dual voltage and has a run cap I think as well as a brake so the wiring plan might be a difficulty once you got it rewound.

Maybe your dad wrote some of this down or bought the wire already.

I have a book by Rosenberg which is probably the best practical book on motor rewinding etc there ever was. I could send you copies out of it or you could get one off ebay. There are lots of older editions available and motors are still basically the same as they were in 1948.

Jim
Old 01-08-2005, 04:28:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sears radial arm saw motor

If possible I need to find someone in here that is willing to rewind the starting coils. One was put in by my dad but he never finished it. The new one he put in would have to be removed and counted and so forth. I have LOTS of wire and rewinding stuff to trade or i will just pay you to rewind it. Is there anyone out there that can help ???? Marty.