Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

porter-cable brushless alternator with capacitor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 9559 times

Old 10-15-2005, 04:26:50 PM
Registered

Default porter-cable brushless alternator with capacitor

I recently purchased a porter-cable H4501S-W generator which has a brushless alternator with a 25Uf capacitor for field excitation purposes.

The alternator is not producing any 110/240VAC output and all of the stator and rotor windings and the capacitor are okay.

A check on a 1OKw porter-cable model has revealed that there is an additional capacitor in parallel with the one that is provided with the alternator.

I suspect that my alternator needs a higher capacitance value for field excitation so that a voltage can be generated but I am not sure what value to use. I would also like a wiring diagram which shows the connections between the alternator stator windings and the front panel which has the receptacles.

Thanks

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2005, 08:04:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: porter-cable brushless alternator with capacitor

I doubt it is the capacitor if it checks good. If it has been sitting in storage for a while, it might need to be flashed to restore the residual magnetic field.

Look inside for 2 exciter leads which feed the stationary field of the brushless exciter. Usually it looks like a small stator and is mounted in the end of the main generator enclosure opposite the engine, with the rotating exciter field inside it on the armature shaft. There could be some numbering on the wires like F1 and F2 or maybe F+ and F-. Apply DC voltage from a battery of 6 to 12 volts observing correct polarity if known. leave the connection for maybe 10 seconds and then remove and start the engine. This process of flashing should be more effective with the engine running, but be very careful you do not get shocked when it excites. With it running, flash only for a second. It should make some voltage after the flashing procedure even if there is something wrong with the exciter or regulator. This minimal voltage is called the residual voltage, and if it is high enough the set should excite and make full voltage unless something else is wrong.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:53:38 PM
Registered

Thanks. I will check the capacitor again and if it is okay, I will proceed with your recommendation.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:45:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rankin
I doubt it is the capacitor if it checks good. If it has been sitting in storage for a while, it might need to be flashed to restore the residual magnetic field.

Look inside for 2 exciter leads which feed the stationary field of the brushless exciter. Usually it looks like a small stator and is mounted in the end of the main generator enclosure opposite the engine, with the rotating exciter field inside it on the armature shaft. There could be some numbering on the wires like F1 and F2 or maybe F+ and F-. Apply DC voltage from a battery of 6 to 12 volts observing correct polarity if known. leave the connection for maybe 10 seconds and then remove and start the engine. This process of flashing should be more effective with the engine running, but be very careful you do not get shocked when it excites. With it running, flash only for a second. It should make some voltage after the flashing procedure even if there is something wrong with the exciter or regulator. This minimal voltage is called the residual voltage, and if it is high enough the set should excite and make full voltage unless something else is wrong.
Jim,

Thanks very much for the good advice. After checking the capacitor and the rotating diodes and found that they were okay, I carried out the flash test on the stator field winding to restore the residual magnetism and I am now getting the correct voltages at the various receptacles.

Thanks again,

Ron Armstrong
Old 06-05-2014, 11:41:57 AM
Registered

Look inside for 2 exciter leads which feed the stationary field of the brushless exciter. Usually it looks like a small stator and is mounted in the end of the main generator enclosure opposite the engine, with the rotating exciter field inside it on the armature shaft. There could be some numbering on the wires like F1 and F2 or maybe F+ and F-. Apply DC voltage from a battery of 6 to 12 volts observing correct polarity if known. leave the connection for maybe 10 seconds and then remove and start the engine. This process of flashing should be more effective with the engine running, but be very careful you do not get shocked when it excites. With it running, flash only for a second. It should make some voltage after the flashing procedure even if there is something wrong with the exciter or regulator. This minimal voltage is called the residual voltage, and if it is high enough the set should excite and make full voltage unless something else is wrong.[/QUOTE]

I have a Porter CAble BSV 750 genset like the one described in this post. I cannot seem to locate the F+ and F- wires you mentioned. I have checked the stator windings and the rotor windings and the diodes on the rotor and the bridge rectifier but I am only getting 2 VAC at my receptacles. Will you help me to locate the excitation wires you mentioned?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:58:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rankin View Post

I have a Porter CAble BSV 750 genset like the one described in this post. I cannot seem to locate the F+ and F- wires you mentioned. I have checked the stator windings and the rotor windings and the diodes on the rotor and the bridge rectifier but I am only getting 2 VAC at my receptacles. Will you help me to locate the excitation wires you mentioned?

I don't know how to attach photos yet but I will learn.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:39:33 PM
Registered

Hello,

I have the same generator. My son took the diodes off the stator and does not remember which way they were installed. They are mounted 180 degrees apart. Are the both mounted the same direction or different. Cathodes on the same side, like looking at them with one on top and one on bottom is the cathode to the left or right or both are opposite.Also there are either resistors or thermistors going across the diodes and I am trying to fine out the size or part number. Thanks for any information.