Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Finding an Oilfield engine?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 5572 times

Old 12-30-2005, 06:56:12 PM
Registered

Question Finding an Oilfield engine?

Wow I just found this website and am thrilled to find such an informative place for people that are crazy about antique engines.

I was hopeing some one here could help me, im on the hunt to find an old oil well engine to restore (I live in Western PA). Ive crawled through the woods near Oil City, and so far have only come up with engines that have major components missing (although ive found central power eccentrics galore). I really want to find one undersome sort of building (or building remanants) as that would probably be the best place to find one in restorable shape? I would rather haul one out myself then pay for an already restored one, as thats half the fun!!!! Also, does anyone know of how to find the owner of property where an engine is located?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2005, 07:21:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Finding an Oilfield engine!?!?!

The county seat should be able to provide you with information of ownership for land within that county. You may have to pay some sort of fee - especially if you want anything printed out. From there it would be a matter of contacting people, and that could get complicated if the owner does not live on the property and you have to track down a chain of relatives to find out who actually has the final say regarding what's on the property...

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50:34 PM
Registered

Also if your wandering around the country side in the woods your trespassing.Unless of course you already asked the person that your trying to locate that you can snoop around on his/her private property.I love old engines but not to the point that I break the law. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-31-2005, 12:06:55 AM
Registered

I agree with you Dan, Its not a good idea to snoop around without permission, out of respect for the land owner and because it could be dangerous. Most of the places I was snooping around were private property, however, it was in a "campground" sort of location where most landowners are open to people hunting and hiking on their propterty (if not, they make it known with a colorful array of various no tresspassing signs). Infact I actually tracked down the owner of the Iron King Eccentric that I found, and he was thrilled that I was attempting to save a little piece of history.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:39:43 AM
Registered

Sorry if I sorta singled you out with my comments Mike. I have had people snooping around my property before looking at my engines and when I told this one guy that they aren't for sale he became beligerent with me, so I kinda get defensive that way.sorry Mike and good luck with your find. Dan S
Old 12-31-2005, 03:46:12 AM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Finding an Oilfield engine!?!?!

Its nice to take a hike or ride in the woods, but snooping a look at an engine just might find you with a load of rock salt in your back end, or worse - especially if the owner has been ripped off before! I have seen several ads right here on OFES where some people have had engine parts ripped off, even a few on working engines! Posted or not, if you find yourself on unknown property, beware, be respectful, and be careful.
Andrew
Old 12-31-2005, 06:59:22 PM
Subscriber

Hi Mike,

I think you might have more luck looking in NW West Virginia or SE Ohio.
Also bear in mind, that you might need to wait some time for engines that are currently working. With crude oil at $60+ per barrel a lot of pumpers have put old wells back into service and right now their priority is getting oil out of the ground and not selling the old engine doing the work.

BTW a friend used to do his scouting in the winter from an ultralight flying over the woods in oil country. Take a tape recorder and a GPS unit to "take notes."

Good luck!!

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah@city-net.com
Old 01-01-2006, 11:31:18 AM
Subscriber

Hello!
I have a 15 HP Reid , that I would sell.
It is in good Condition mounted on a wagon.
Email me if you are interested!
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:34:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Craig
Hello!
I have a 15 HP Reid , that I would sell.
It is in good Condition mounted on a wagon.
Email me if you are interested!
Thanks!
I am interrested.
But would rather have a BALL . Dan
Old 01-02-2006, 12:19:49 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the advice guys!! How much does an engine go for these days!?! Im a poor college student so there is a somwhat limitied budget . I would be interested in any engine, but mostly one to restore because thats half the fun right? I guess i just should continue searching topo maps, drivin around, and askin around, that seems to be the most practical.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:34:19 AM
Tim B

Photo Re: Finding an Oilfield engine!?!?!

Hi Mike, is this what your looking for? ( I hope picture follows this message)Took me awhile to find this, and still dont have it yet. I found and talked to the land owner, but he wont release it untill he talks w/ the company that has the oil rights and owns this engine. The problem is that he cant find the company because they wont return the call or no one knows anything, or the company has changed names and files are lost. I'm not giving up and hope you dont either.
Good luck,
Tim
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44:16 AM
Tim B

Photo Re: Finding an Oilfield engine!?!?!

one more try for the pic http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25827
Old 01-02-2006, 06:58:49 PM
Registered

It takes time to get stuff,

We have serveral engines that took 3 or more years to get, it took us 4 to get the little Superior pictured here (from Wv in Wood County)

Old 01-02-2006, 07:50:49 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Finding an Oilfield engine!?!?!

Coming from another poor college student (freshman at RIT)... The best thing you can do is just keep asking around and you'll find some iron. If you get lucky, the owner will say "HEY I have one of those old engines in the woods; I want it out of here!" Good luck... they're still out there.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:02:14 AM
Registered

Thanks, its inspiring to see others having success at the hunt!! I'm not planning on giving up anytime soon.

BTW, does anyone know anything about retrieving the eccentrics? I found a huge Iron King with like three eccentric disks, the whole thing stands about 7 feet high. I can turn it by hand, and i think a may have found who owns it (hes not sure himself!). Once i get permission to take it, the only issue is the 4.5 inch nuts securing it to a concrete slab. Might take some work to get her off, but thats half the fun .
Old 01-03-2006, 01:20:48 AM
Registered

Eccentrics are big and heavy, have removed a couple myself,

we usually leave them though, not many people interested in them

my advice, leave it unless you have a bulldozer, then its a different story
Old 01-05-2006, 09:25:58 PM
Registered

I have been thinking about this post.
I know where there are several engines still in the power house where they were when the lease was last pumped.
I am shure they would still crank if we turned te gas back on. we all turn the engines over when we go by during hunting season.& keep the cylnders oiled up.
Better not get caught messing around any of the powers. This is not a threat but just really, really good advice.
this equipment has been there for a century . leave it be.
buy from the stock that is here for sale.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:06:47 PM
Registered

Thank you for wanting to seek the owner of the property on which the engine is located! Bill Huber, Plumer, Venango County, has had two of his Reid engines vandalized during the last two years with crutial parts stolen - obviously a collector - making it so he and his son can not pump their oil wells until they find new parts! The county court house will give you the information regarding the surface rights owner as well as the mineral rights owner. Be aware that the person on whose land you tresspass may NOT be the owner of the equipment. And just because it looks abandoned does NOT mean it is!!! The McClintock Well #1 (near Rouseville, Venango County) 15 hp Reid engine had parts stolen from it in 2004 year and Drake Well Museum staff and volunteers had been using that engine to pump the oldest continuously pumped well in North America! The site sign still said Quaker State because we didn't have the funds and time to repaint the sign but it is now owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Good luck in your search!
Sue
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25:03 PM
Registered

just read your note and i have a 20hp patten brothers and a 25hp south penn that i have been thinking about selling. they need minor parts, i've actually had the patten brothers running it just needs some fine tuning. i live in columbus ohio if you would be interested. thanks, tom 614 4763180
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11:13 PM
Registered

Ah, another way of reverse finding an engine, is through the state EPA. Cleanup sites are often listed. Some with GPS coordinates. Air permits are sometimes listed as well. Using the words "compressor station", "pump station", "lease" ect. should bring something up.