Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Compression release valve on 15 hp reid

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3464 times

Old 04-29-2006, 02:55:50 AM
Registered

Default Compression release valve on 15 hp reid

I keep reading about a compression release valve, where is this located on a 15 hp reid? is it the large round thing under the cylinder covered with a large threaded cap with a sort of seal? how hot does the tube need to be to get one of these beasts started? (my legs have taken a toll almost tonight ). those flywheels are massive. and advise would be greatly apreciated.

Jeff P
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00:18 AM

Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,300 Posts
Default Re: Compression release valve on 15 hp reid

The hot tube should be bright red-dull orange to start, the flame can be lowered to allow dull red heat, once the engine is warmed. The item you mention sounds like one of the engine check valves. Usual starting procedure is to set mixture rich, rock the engine against compression several times to prime the power cylender, light and get the tube good and hot, pull the engine against compression in normal direction, and then as fast as possible - roll the engine over backwards (DO NOT STAND ON FLYWHEELS you will be bounced off the ceiling, or end up with broken bones if you do ), against the reverse compression stroke. If all is set up properly, the engine shoulf fire and start itself. You should not have to roll thru a full compression stroke. Rolling the engine against compression, backwards will allow the engine to fire under low compression - the power generated usually brings the engine thru a complete stroke - in the proper direction, thus starting it. If you are trying to pull the engine thru a complete stroke, and the engine fires, you stand a good chance of getting seriously killed if the engine fires . Use the reverse start method.
Andrew
Old 04-29-2006, 12:15:22 PM
Registered

Andrew,is "seriously killed" worse than regular killed?Chip
Old 04-29-2006, 11:00:35 PM
Registered

Jeff:

On the top of the flat between your cylinders there should be a tapped hole. This is directly over the main valve. I believe this is where the release valve goes. One manual calls this a "relief cock". Having a valve there not only is nice for rolling the engine over, but it also is handy to purge the engine (when you flood it) by blowing in it with an air compressor. Of course, there is the relief valve on the end of the charging cylinder, but I don't think you are asking about that.

My hot tube needs to be quite a bit hotter than red--bright orange is more like it. Any cooler and the engine will miss ("four stroke") and won't make even impulses every revolution. It also needs to be heated as evenly as possible, with the tip glowing as well as the base.

Joel
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27:14 AM

Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Compression release valve on 15 hp reid

The relief cock is NOT a compression release. It was a safety valve installed on later engines, to prevent engine self destruct, if the check valve between the power cylender and the charging cylender failed to seat. On older reids, if the check valve failed to seat properly, the firing of the charge within the power cylender, would allow power stroke pressure into the charging cylender, and ignite the fuel-air charge there as well.

As the charging cylender, piston and connecting rod, was not designed to have working pressure applied to then, and as the piston at firing point, is opposed to the working cylender rod throw, the usual result was that the charging cylender connecting rod pretzled (folded up) allowing the piston to be usually blown completely out of its cylender. As the engine was also usually still turning, the now free floating piston and bent up rod, also began spinning around, destroying everything in its path, Usual path of desrtuction: engine charging cylender (I have seen several that had the charging cyl broken completely off the engine), engine charging side flywheel (broken spokes, con rod mount broken off), Engine ripped off base, crankshaft bent, in short, a totaled engine - worst case scenario. At the least, a bent charging cylender con rod, with possible cylender damage. The relief valve was later designed, and installed to prevent the self destruct, by venting excess pressure in the charging cross over passage, before it caused the catastrophic event before described. If this hohe is drilled and tapped, DO NOT PLUG IT Install the safety valve, and possibly save your engine, a fate worse than death.

Chip - YES 800 pounds or more of flywheel, with the force of the power cylender firing, will not stop for body parts caught between 2 pinch points, on any of the big oil field engines (even the small ones, for that matter) Just busted up dead is one thing. Being bounced into the air with your knee bone passing your hip bone, and having your arms ripped off are not quite what I would like to see at a show. Seriously killed - you bet! I had heard from several sources, that many years ago, a farmer tried to start a 7 HP hercules, by standing on a spoke, supposedly, he had forgotten to retard the timing, and when he tried to start it, it fired advanced. The engine fired backwards, tossing him into the drive belting, literally tearing the guy totally in half, and actually bending the crank, as it did it so. At the time I had heard the story, The engine was on display, at Jacktown engine show, the present owner at the time was running it , and the work side crank was bent literally 1/4"!!! The flywheel also was bent, giving about a 3 to 4 inch deflection at the engine flywheel rim!!! The owner was told to shut it down, by many people (myself included), and the show operators finally shut it down. We all felt it was too dangerous to operate this engine, in that condition. Be safe out there guys, we want you all to be around a long time!
Andrew
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49:37 PM
Registered

Please be careful!!

I have had two friends hurt from not thinking before doing.

One was standing in the flywheel of his halfbreed try to turn it over and it fired He went flying up and over the back of the trailer landing flat on his back in the crowd! Luckily just bruised and battered, nothing broken.

Another friend broke his ankle starting his 16hp headless Witte, slipped on the wet trailer from the morning dew!!

So Please be safe!! Don't stick a foot or arm on the spokes of flywheels when cranking, recruit some friends to help and only grab on the outside of the flywheels, use a pony motor, belt it to a tractor, just be careful.

Once you get it tuned in and with some practice you will have it starting on the first try and running like a top!

Bill

My first day cranking on my 15hp, 4 hours and two or three pops, no run. Second day not much better just more tired!! Eventually it came to life and became one of my favorites.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35:34 PM
Registered

I would like to politely respond to Mr. Mackey's post. The relief valve is different from the release valve (though as I pointed out, one manual I have calls this a "relief cock"). The relief valve is located on the end of the charging cylinder and does just what you explained--it relieves the pressure from a backfire in the charging cylinder. The release valve, on the other hand, is located on the upper flat between the two cylinders and actually accesses the firing cylinder above the main valve. This is shown seperately in the manual. This is a compression release of the main cylinder, enabling the engine to be rolled over easily by hand to get it into position for starting.

By the way, Jeff, the large round thing you described on the bottom of your engine is the valve cap for the main valve I mentioned. Directly over this (on the top of the engine) you will find the hole for the release valve.

If you are lacking the relief valve ("pop valve", "saftey valve", etc.) for the end of the charging cylinder, John Burns of Oilfield Engine Parts carries new ones.

JOEL
Old 05-03-2006, 05:39:15 PM
Registered

Jeff;
I have a 20hp Reid. Joels information is correct; however, some of the early ones from the factory and some of the smaller ones were not drilled. I had to drill mine. I also air start mine in the same openings. Have fun.
Leroy