Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Black Fairbanks Z

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1378 times

Old 12-09-2001, 03:34:35 PM
Chase

Default Black Fairbanks Z

Hey Guys

I've got a Fairbanks Z with a Bosch ignition and the paint on it is black or a really really dark green. I know that the Z were painted green but with the Bosch ignition maybe the painted them different.

Thanks Chase

The young engine collector

PS check out my other smokestack ad. (Young Engine Collector)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2001, 09:50:39 PM
Denny Foster

Default Re: Black Fairbanks Z

I posted the same question a few weeks back I have a 1919 3 hp Z that was painted black originally, The general consensus seems to be that the engines that were shipped with air compressors to start larger engines were painted black. I also had a 3 hp Z that had original paint on it with the Bosch mag and it was a really dark green so you may have to examine your engine closely under a bright light to determine if it was really grren or black.

Denny
Old 12-10-2001, 04:39:27 AM
Steve Gerot

I have a F&M Z that is either dark orange or light red. I've been told that might also be original. To bad there aren't some factory photos floating around.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:26:21 PM
Denny Foster

Steve,

I have a 3hp spoke flywheel hit and miss Fairbanks Z that was painted red originally. It has the factory battery box which holds a model T buzz coil.

Denny
Old 12-11-2001, 01:55:49 AM
BobRR

From what I've heard is that the red ones are battery&coil,green is standard with mag and black where compressor units. Bobrr
Old 12-12-2001, 11:06:56 AM
Steve Gerot

Hi Denny. Mine is the 1929 Z style D I bought at an auction a couple months ago. It does not appear to have been repainted, but under the scratches it appears to have a dark primer. I have not completely ruled out that it could be original paint showing through. It has a magneto. I don't think the D's came any other way. There are many photo's of it both in my yahoo photo album and on my web site.